Conflicting Info--Axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Wanted to change the lube in both axles and put in Mobil 1. One one page of the owners manual it says to use 75w-90 synthetic, on the next page it says 75w-140 synthetic.:huh: I'm leaning toward using the Mobil1 Truck & SUV 75w-140. My Trac has a factory limited-slip.

What do you all think?

Use the 75w-140, Thats the most common ford weight... ALSO make sure you add the bottle of friction modifier first or you can cause damage to the limited slip...

Todd Z

Mobil's site says the lube is okay for limited-slips as is, but you can add friction modifier for "maximum limited-slip performance", which of course I will do. :D

I never trust that, get the bottle from ford...

Todd Z

75W140 is ONLY to be used if you have a limited slip differential. The Limited Slip Differential was only available on the rear axle. If you have a regular axle in the rear, you only use 75W90 oil.

If you have a Limited Slip differential, you should put a bottle of friction modifier in it. Make sure the one you use is compatable with Ford. Redline, Trans-X, and Amsoil are all compatable with Ford specifications. If you have a Limited Slip Differential and do not add the friction modifier, you will get clutch chatter in the rear end.

If you read the manual closely along with reading the footnotes, you will understand the manual. It is actually pretty clear and does not contradict itself.

Tom

The '05 manual is pretty clear but it does contradict itself. On the Refill Capacities page (p.243) for the rear axle it says under Part Name, Motorcraft SAE 75w-90 Fuel Efficient High Performance Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant, and under Application, Conventional And Traction-Lok axles with a footnote for friction modifier. On the Lubricant Specifications page (p.245) under Rear Axle it says Motorcraft SAE 75w-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant, again with the footnote for friction modifier for L/S axles.

Both charts call for Motorcraft 80w-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant for the front axle with no mention of synthetic.

My guess is that one page got updated at some point and the other didn't, I just wondered which one is correct.

"I can't see, I can't see."--Larry from the Three Stooges

I think that might be it but I can't see it, whatever, I'm just quoting from my owner's manual.

I sent you an online version of your owners manual. It doesn't say anything pertaining to the fluids on page 243 and nothing wqhat you said on page 245.

I am not trying to argue with yu or say you are wrong, I am just trying to learn.

Tom

I am not trying to argue with yu or say you are wrong, I am just trying to learn.

I know, no offense taken. I do not have the latest version of Adobe at work (dial-up, takes too long to download), probably why I can't see it. No biggie, I bought the 75w-140 and friciton modifier at lunchtime today.

Make sure you get a tube of black RTV sealent. Not blue, red, or clear, but black, only black.

Tom

Okay, here's what I ended up with. Couldn't drain the front diff well with my jerry-rigged hose setup. Stuck smaller tubing inside a piece of tubing that came with the gun and siliconed it. Still had an air leak and it did not suck well. Head to the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube and have them drain it with their suction machine and put in a quart of my Mobil 1 75w-90. Drive home, it isn't far, and fill it the rest of the way with my suction gun. Takes almost 2 quarts, just like the book says.

Monday after work, start on the rear. Can't break the drain plug loose. Surgically repaired elbows are still not up to full strength I guess, and I hurt myself. Probably tweaked a tendon that I thought was healed. :rolleyes: Continue cussing at the drain plug, but that doesn't help either. Drive back to the Quicky-Lube, "Rear axle this time!". "Couldn't you get the cover off?" "No, can't get the fill plug out." They drain it and put in almost 2 of the 3 quarts of Mobil 1 75w-140 via the bottles plus friction modifier. All that fits. Here's where it gets interesting. I drive home, double check the manual, "Hmm, sez 2.9 to 3.1 liters". Undo the plug (this time it comes out) break out the suction gun again, and add nearly another quart of lube to the axle. I hate not being able to do stuff myself.

Latest posts