Concerns over my new flowmaster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Timm

Reaction score
I cut out the resonator and installed a flowmaster 50 series. I am happy with the sound but have noticed my mileage drop quite a bit now and also notice at highway speeds, the engine seems to stay revved higher than it should. It hangs onto the 5th gear more. Any reason why??

I did pull the neg cable on the battery to reset the computer after I installed thinking it would help but it didn't.

Any thoughts??

I replaced the factory exhaust with a Corsa muffler made for the Mustang Cobra. I dont remember any drop in MPG and didnt have any hanging RPM issues for sure.

How many miles have you put on it with the new muffler? Maybe it needs a bit more time to re-learn itself?

Exhaust does not affect rpms unless your MAF is playing games with air flow and causing your trans to hold gear longer, but it will not cause a RPM change at the same speed...

Maybe your putting your foot in it more and causing the drop...

I know the sound makes your ears do weird things too..

Todd Z

I installed a Magna Flow system on mine and increased milage,,

No doubt you are going backwards.

Sounds like maybe the tranny needs to re-learn since you pulled the cable.

believe it or not, mufflers do need some breakin time, did you by chance change pipe size?

If so that could be another factor.

Thanks guys. I could be on it harder now for the sound but what I notice the mileage drop is at highway speeds. I do live in MN and its been around 0 now too so I know the cold weather can drop mileage too.

Cold weather will drop mileage on its own, also, Winter Fuel has an additive to keep it from freezing and allow moisture to pass through the system, thus, you get less MPG's with winter fuel as compared to summer fuel...

I live in Ohio and see it every year.

There's no break-in time on a Flowmaster, it's just hollow metal chambers. The only change will come from your ECM relearning its tune, which can affect the sound of the exhaust a bit. Also, I assume you mean it's hanging onto 4th gear more? If it's staying in 5th longer, your RPM's would be lower.

I want to add the flowmaster to my 2010 STA as soon I can find the time. Do you have a sound clip of yours? Is it loud in the cab at highway speeds? I am not sure if I want to use the 40 or 50 series. Which is the quieter of the 2. Thanks in advance to those who chime in to help me, and Merry X-Mas to All!!! (not politically correct, I know, but this is how I was raised) and at nearly 62, I doubt that I will change.

Rod

50-Series is quieter than the 40-series. Basically, the 40's are two chamber mufflers, and the 50's are three chamber mufflers.

I scoured every resource prior to going with a 50 series. If you call Flowmaster they will tell you that they do not have one that fits our model. You need a 2.5" offset in/out. I highly recommend the 50 series. My whole goal was to sound like a mustang gt and not a 16 yr old kid. The sound is fantastic. In the cab it is not very loud at all but you can tell you have something. Outside it is low and deep but not really loud. I am very happy with the 50 series. Be sure you have the resonator cut out to get the sound.

For what it's worth, I did a "quickie" research project on cold weather fuel mileage and the conventional wisdom is that fuel mileage drops about 10% in the winter.

It really is simple math relative Winter Fuel...

There is an additive put into the fuel to allow water to pass, no freeze. The simple fact that the additive is in there, there is less fuel per gallon. Yes, you are still getting a gallon of liquid, but it contains less fuel due to the additive.

Plus, the additive is not combustible, thus, it take performance away from the fuel itself.

Sooo, less fuel and less performance means less MPG...

I have gone from 17.8 to a constant 17.2 since Winter fuel hit Ohio...

Latest posts