Computer / sound board question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The board may have up and quit on you. You can check and make sure by going to your control panel, then system, then hardware, then device manager. It will bring up a list of devices, look for sound options. Make sure your driver is selected.;)

Plug in the back of the computer..... Speaker main volume, or power to speakers ??

Todd Z

Yes, the driver is selected. The sound driver is not digitally signed. Does it need to be digitally signed to work?

p.s. - I am running XP Media Center Edition.

Todd,

The computer is backed up near a wall with access blocked to anyone (i.e. grandkids) getting back there to mess with the connections / plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so. Does it have any other driver there? One that doesn't go across that board? I have a seperate one that I bought in mine, so it has the one that came with the computer and then the one I put in. I can switch between the two if one goes. You may have a bad board. I'd have to check mine at home. I have the same system on my HP at home. On it there is your regular sound controls and then for some reason there is another on there for if you watch TV broadcasts with external speakers. It's for the surround and all. It can also get muted from there. Not sure if yours has anything like that on there. Mine will actually have a "speaker" symbol (looks like a woofer) and also the symbol for "high definition sound" (or something like that) in the box on the lower right corner of the screen. (where all the systems that are running put thier symbols)

Here's what it looks like in the Device Manager:

Sound, Video and Game Controllers

Audio Codecs

Creative SB X-Fi

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media Contol Devices

Video Codecs

When I open Creative SB X-Fi Properties / General tab

It says:

This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off its a dell. Kidding....

The audio port may have gone bad. Try using headphones, if that doesn't work, the audio port is bad on the card. I've seen that.

The device is working properly basically means:

1: the card is getting enough power

2: drivers are functioning with in established ranges

3: the card is working properly

That's it. Very generic. Is the card separate or on board? On board meaning the sound is built into the motherboard?

I will plug in a set of headphons later tonight after we get done grandkid sitting.

Gavin,

:lol::lol::lol: uh No! I do not listen to music through my computer. I have a Bose System in the living room for that. I listen to Native American flute (primarily Mary Youngblood), Shanti Shanti, etc.

Headphones are a valid check. Make sure you plug into the speaker out port on the card, also check the headphone jack on the front of the PC or CD Drive (if equipped).

If you still don't have sound:

1. open the case and re-seat the card if it is a separate card.

2. uninstall the device from device manager, then re-install the drivers. Make sure you have the drivers first.

Thermal expansion, vibration, and nudges of plugs up against wall may lead to the card becoming slightly dislodged.

I've had sound blaster drivers just go bad from time to time. Great cards, but sometimes they have a buggy driver release, or if you downloaded a windows update driver, they frequently suck. Re-installing the drivers usually worked for me.

Latest posts