Computer problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
Ok going on 10 days trying to get this PC I'm building together to work. Here are the specs

Intel Pentium 4 Socket 775 processor 651 3.4ghz

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO AGP 8X

2X512mb Crucial PC-3200 400 DDR

500gb SATA Seagate 7200.10

Cool master heat sink (up to 3.8ghz)

A-Power Pure Black 580W SATA Dual Fan ATX Supply

And so far tried both these motherboards with no luck

Foxconn 661M08-FX-6LS SiS 661FX (built in graphics)

Foxconn 865PE7MC-S (no graphics)

Powers up with both motherboards but no graphics (with AGP and On-board)

heat sinks spin on both motherboard and video card. lights on motherboard work. hard drive spins up. everything seems fine but nothing ever comes up on the screen. tried different ram also (crucial 1gb PC-2700 333 DDR which work fine in my fathers dell pcs) both motherboards say they use 333/400DDR but nothing. going to try another AGP card but not sure if thats it cause the on-board graphics showed nothing as well. Does this sound like a bad processor? no beeps come from the motherboards also to indicate something is wrong and nothing smells like its burning. My 478 build was a piece of cake but this 775 is being a PITA. might just sell it all and get a pre-built even tho I don't wanna.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

My first guess would be the processor. Did you use grease? Too much, too little? Since you've been able to try 2 mobos, I would think that is your problem. When you used the mobo with onboard video, did you have the ATI slotted?

C - I tried it first with onboard than when nothing happened I tried the ATI AGP card and neither worked. Grease was already pre-applied on the heatsink so I dont think that is the problem.

Cay - Yes monitor works fine its what I'm using now :p so I know that is not the problem.

If it is the processor I'm not out alot of money (maybe $70) I bought it OEM (but it was listed as "Brand New") from www.geeks.com and there customer service is awful so I guess I live and I learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
JDBoxes - going to try that hopefully it gives me something.

Cayman - hopefully not don't feel like buying a 3rd motherboard :( if I do it will be an Intel board or something better. Foxconn I'm not gonna try again.

and I'm re-applying the heat sink with Antec formula5 silver thermal compound everytime.

Jim D - sure am. DDR (not DDR2) 333/400 (I've tried PC2700 at 333mhz and also PC3200 at 400mhz) neither seem to do anything. Thanks for the suggestion tho. Both boards say to use DDR 333/400mhz.

Well found something on the motherboard without graphics. Seems like one of the 775 socket "pins" is bent. Could be before or after I first installed the cpu. gonna try the motherboard with on-board tomorrow cause I don't have a spare VGA cable laying around (just have DVI)

As JD mentioned, try it with only the mobo, memory and proc. I would use the 661FX with the onboard video and alternate memory slots to troubleshoot memory banks. If you are reseating the proc, you might want to clean and re-apply grease. The only time I've ever had a problem like this it was due to my CPU overheating and shutting down by default.

i don't know how many systems you have built,, but i have to ask.. did you check the cmos jumper setting???

troy

Make sure you didn't bend one of the processor pins. I did that recently while upgrading mine and had all kinds of problems until I figured that out.

Latest posts