computer antivirus program

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I recall some past discussions here about good free virus programs that are available on the internet. I failed to write those down then, so could I ask for your suggestions on what you recommend to replace McAfee when this contract expires?

Thank You in advance,

Bob

AVG is a good FREE antivirus program from GrisSoft

Windows Defender is also free from Microsoft and is very good protection from SpyWare and AdWare.

You need both. I use a professional version of Symantec's Antivirus that is supposed to protect agains SpyWare and AdWare, but I also run Windows Defender as a double safety net. I leave my computer on all night so both update nightly at about 2:00am

...Rich

+1 on Avast! my ISP offers a free security suite, which is good, but I'd rather pay for Avast because the free one just hogs resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, Microsoft has a free Anti-virus and spyware software call Microsoft Security Essentials. Just go to the Microsoft website and search under Security and Updates and you will find it. It will update automatically when new definition files are created, if not just update it manually as soon as you start your computer. Works for me on all my computers. Not sure if many people knows it exists.

Latest posts