Compressor turning on/off every 15 sec

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N J

Reaction score
Well at least I think it's the compressor. lol.

A friend said it prob cause my freon is low and all I need is some 30$ recharge kit. Apparantely these are only available in the States and not in Canada due to some ozone law. Anyways, can someone confirm if he's right? Is this the simple fix that I need?

What I don't understand is why it clicks so often even when I don't have the A/C button on. Even with just outside vent blowing, it is still activated and clicks. Is it supposed to run on every setting (i.e. vent / defrost / a/c)?

2003 Trac.

Thanks

Yes, it will run on almost all of the settings. I don't recall exactly which one it doesn't run on. I took my '01 into the dealer because it was doing this, and they explained to me that all Ford vehicls have always had the compressor running no matter what setting the A/C was on. I called BS, but they sid it had always been that way... I think it does not run on just dash only or floor only. Everything else it runs. Sounds like you may be in need of a recharge kit.

When the compressor runs, it drops the pressure on the switch side of the system, therefore shutting the compressor off.

I don't know much about the A/C and it's inner workings, and maybe someone can confirm or deny, but I have heard that it runs even when not in use to keep the freon, or whatever they use, active, so it doesn't just sit. and that will make it require recharge less often.

I'm thinking that would make the whole compressor need to be replaced more often, so I don't see the savings.

Not sure if that's the case of not, just what a buddy told me. He said GM vehicles kick on the compressor when you use your defrosters for the same purpose.

IF if clicks when everything is OFF then it is Low on 134A....

Todd Z

When I have the inside control set to "off" meaning no vent / no ac / no heat / whatever, there is no clicking.

Only when i activiate the control. I had also heard that Ford vehicles kick the compressor on regardless of the setting you're on.

so u think it's a matter of just getting a recharge kit?

it sounds like it is normal.....

Does the max setting blow cold air ???

If so it sounds fine to me..

Todd Z

My old Ranger did the same thing. It needed the re-charge, and in my case, converted to the new fittings, etc. It worked just fine after I had it fitted and re-charged. That was a 98, but I think they still make them the same,,,,yes, it is engaged in every setting accept the "off" or vent setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
it does blow "cold" air .... not as cold as our other car though, and to be honest, I don't notice the air being any colder when it's on MAX versus just normal a/c.

If you start your Trac and leave it in park .... switch the control level to one of the vent settings (i.e. top defrost and down on the legs - that's my favorite, LOL), do you get a clicking noise every 15 sec ???

that just seems kinda odd to me that it turns on/off so often ......

P.S. It's hard to take it into a garage and get an opinion, because apparantely here in Canada, it's law that they have to do some full inspection jazz, which is costly (75 - 100 bucks just to diagnois the problem)

On my 02 Ranger, which was probably very similar to the first gen Tracs, the only setting that did not cause the AC compressor to engage was VENT. If the system is low on R134A the compressor will cycle too often because it cannot maintain the proper pressure. Just as a precaution, you might want to have it checked for leaks when they recharge the system.

The AC is off when the switch is in the VENT mode(all air through the vents), in the HEAT mode(all air at your feet), or in the OFF position.. All other settings on the switch will cause the AC to cycle. Depending on the temperature, it may cycle on and off differently...

On my ST, it does tend to cycle about every 15 sec when the weather is cool. In hot weather, it's a longer cycle...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar experience with mine, and it ended up that my idle speed was set too low. When the idle speed of the engine is too slow the compressor will not stay on, it will cycle on and off. The compressor cycles on, senses that there is not enough speed to maintain compression, and then cycles off. If you look up in the project section,you should be able to find a project on setting your idle speed.

Just FYI:

The difference between A/C and A/C Max:

The Max recycles cabin air that is already cooling, to cool down faster.

Regular A/C sucks in fresh air.

Unless it's been running for a little bit, you may not nitice a difference in temp from reglar to max.

can someone tell me if it's normal for the compressor to click that often? It seems way too short to be clicking every 10-15 sec.

How often does your "click" when you have one of the vent modes? (i.e. blowing at chest and leg level)