component speaker mounting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G Adams

Reaction score
I have an 05 and want to mount component speakers in the front. Thinking about 6.5 rainbow germaniums. I will mount the mid in the normal door location using a mdf spacer. I am wondering where to mount the tweeter - has anyone mounted a separate tweeter and where did you end up putting it for best sound.

Thanks

746e9c95d7d7d6b53f085073442c37b0.jpg

Put mine just a bit above the mid, front top part of door panel. Great choice there on the rainbows, you're putting out some serious cash but top shelf stuff. I have Image Dynamics subs, Polk MMC components, Eclipse head unit, and MTX amps. Don't put your tweets too far away from your mids is common advice from many audiophiles, I'm happy with my placement. I can send you some sites to read up on it if you're interested.

I have Alpine Type-R components and I have the mid mounted in the stock spot and the tweeter mounted just below the window adjustment control facing the driver.

What is the mounting depth and diameter of the rainbows?

I have JL ZR650-CSi's in my STa nd I had to do quite a bit of modifications to make them fit properly.

The problem with the door speakers on a ST is, they are not centered in the door panel grille, so you will actually lose 1/3rd of the speaker behind the panel. On top of that you cant even move it over, because right against the stock opening is the motor for the window. Soooo... also right behind the speaker is the slide for the window. So the mounting depth is important. If the rainbows are the same depth and size pretty much as the ZR Jl's I have, prepare for a 5/8" spacer (preferably plywood over MDF) and you will have to notch out the groves in the door that wont let it sit flat. Also IF the spacer is too big the speaker itself will hit the door panel and potentially destroy your mids. Then cover over the part that is not covered by the spacer itself.

As for advise on the tweeter, the mid and the tweeter should be no more than 8" apart. Also lower on the door for the set is generally better. The problem I see with BigD's install is that the tweeter on the drivers side should be pointed at the passengers left ear, and the tweeter on the right should be pointed at the drivers right ear. Mounting the tweeter on the door above the mid it actually going to aim directly into the steering column, which isnt ideal. But that it where i have it, as mounting it to the lower left or right of the mid will be aimed at your legs. I can say from experience in mounting the tweeter it sounded better up by the window control than down by the mid.

Just trying to save you a pain in the arse ;)

Latest posts