Complete 96+ Explorer 8.8 rear end swap?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do the disc brake conversion for some time, and now I need a new carrier/posi unit and am thinking about just swapping in complete 96 Explorer disc brake rear end.

I read Caymen's conversion write-up, and I know about the brake cables and lines needed. But what I am wondering is if a 96 Explorer rear end will bolt right in like the ST.

Why not just do the conversion with the Motorsport kit like I did. It isn't hard at all.

Tom

I didn't do the whole axle, but the disk brake system is a direct swap except for the Ebrake bracket that mounts to the frame. You just have to remove the Ebrake cables from the 96's bracket and put them in the ST's. The driver's side is a little long, but still works fine. I took my time, ate lunch, took breaks, etc and had the swap done in less than a day. Less than $200 with new ceramic pads and all.

My concern is not how hard it is to do, I currently have my rear end all torn apart because the spider gears got chewed up somehow and new spider gears are more than I can get a used complete posi carrier with a clutch rebuild kit.

My concern is cost - I can get a complete 4:10 posi rear end from the junk yard for less than $75, complete disc to disc.

The M2300 kit alone is almost $400, plus $100 for the carrier and clutch rebuild I need.

So the question still stands: Will a 96+ Explorer rear end bolt right in? My main concern is if the leaf spring pads and shock mounts are the same.

Last edited by a moderator: