Clutch Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm debating on tackling installing a new clutch in my sport trac. It's time for one. I would take any help, hints, tricks, advice, etc. on a brand and whether I should tackle this project by my lonesome and maybe with someone else's expertise. I've never done anything that involved before, and I don't want to do any damage to my truck in the process. Would it be better for me to just let someone who knows what they're doing install it?

Well, since you don't mention it is a 4X4 and it is not in your profile, I am guessing it is 2wd...

As far as the clutch goes, I would suggested you get a "Matted" unit. Basically, a mated unit is a clutch and pressure plate that were built for each other and balanced together and checked to ensure the clearances are correct and what not. They almost always come with the throw-out bearing as well as a pilot bearing for the crank shaft. Also, and this is super nice,,, when you buy a mated set they normally come with an alignment tool which will REALLY help when putting the clutch and pressure plate back on to the flywheel.

As far as the R and R goes. It is pretty much straight forward. Remove the shift cover housing to get to the shifter mounting area, Remove the shifter from the tranny. Drain the fluid, remove the drive-shaft. Unbolt the UPPER engine bolts, remove the line to the slave cylinder, (great opportunity to renew the fluid). Starter bolts, any inspection cover bolts if there are any of them, then the rest of the lower tranny mounting bolts. This is where you may want someone to help you. Wiggle the tranny and it should drop of the alignment pins and be on your chest about that time...

I just did one on a ranger and I must say they are a pain and it took 2 days but it saved about $800. I would definitely go with a LUK clutch. It is not a super complicated job just time consuming. I would also recommend getting a buddy that can help you lower the tranny and also help you stab it.

Definatly replace the slave when your in there. My slave is going bad and I will be replacing all that stuff myself soon enough. I'm not looking forward to it.

Latest posts