Clunking when in 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Vinke

Reaction score
Hey all, after searching for months, I just purchased an 02 XLT 4x4 ST last night. It's a little rough around the edges and needs some TLC, but the first thing I want to fix is the 4x4 issue.

Anyway, it will go in and out of 4H and 4L fine, it's just that when I start driving there is a slow steady clunk about every 3 or 4 seconds. I just put in in 4x4 a couple of times and took it back out not knowing what the noise is, so I havn't gone over 25mph or so and I would assume the interval of the clunk goes faster with the speed of the vehicle but I don't know for sure.

Any ideas?? Do I need a new transfer case? I can do all my own work on my cars and am not by any means new to the mechanic scene. However, I am fairly new to the 4x4 scene, so any help would be great.

Congrats on the truck !!!

Check the front and t-case fluids first.... and the check the front driveshafts....

Todd Z

And dont run in 4X4 on the road, dirt ,sand ,snow OK If you run on the road you can get some nasty noise from it . Bill

Latest posts