Close Call Tonight

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hale

Reaction score
Went to pick up daughter today at classmate's home. Had adult brother sitting in backseat with vehicle running while I stepped inside residence to get daughter (front door open and storm door with glass so I could see outside). Mom of classmate commented on vehicle backing up outside in street. Short while later my brother gets out of the ST and walks up to the door. Apparently three teens had been cruising by and noted the vehicle with its lights on, running, and apparently no one in the vehicle. They apparently stepped from the vehicle and approached the ST. At this point my brother opens the back door and advises the three to get back into their vehicle. Their comment was that they were apparently trying to figure out where such and such lived but my brother advised them to get back in their vehicle and go on, which they did. Just a reminder to all to not leave your vehicle idling, even if you are in a position to watch it from afar. Location was Plano, Texas, just west of Custer off Park Blvd..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, never do that, Never leave the keys in it running, not only you could loose the truck, the insurance company will not cover the theft (here in NY any way)

Thats why I like the remote start, Just hit it, Leave the truck running, Lock doors, and take keys...

Todd Z

My neighbors car was stolen a couple months ago. Same week both of my boxers were stolen also:(. I believe that they had their car running in the driveway, went inside for a sec and car was gone. They found it totaled about 2 miles from there house. Now when I leave my Sport Trac running and I have to go back inside I lock the doors and use the keypad to unlock it.

I do the same, I always lock it and then use the keypad to reenter. The keypad is one of the best features on Fords today imo.

I never leave it unattended while it is running. Interesting part was that since it was rainy, getting close to dark, and he was behind the rear tinted windows, he couldn't be seen from their vantage point. I wonder what the state of their shorts was when they saw the rear door open as they approached.

I do the same thing when I warm mine up or just run in the house to get something, I just lock it and use the keypad to get back in.

i left my S/T running, doors unlocked with all my strobe lights flashing at a 9-1-1 call, when i came back i saw 3 guys around my S/T and chased them off with some BIG firefighters and EMT's, cant trust anyone!;)

why the heck didnt your brother wait for the one to get behind the wheel

and punch him in the back of the head?

might have saved someone elses car from being stolen in the future plus in Texas

im sure its legal.

here in NJ i would pucnh the guy in the head and they would file charges

against me

Because there were two others. One would have had to get in the backseat (though we did discuss similar options such as saying something, or something else along the lines of "putting a cap in his...."). No, we did not have any firearms.

Latest posts