clicking sound from front passenger wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Brusca

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what would be making a clicking sound in my front passenger wheel area. It does "click" faster as the wheel goes faster and seems to make the sound if turning right or left but mainly noticable when turning. It kinda sounds bad..I dont know if it is a universal joint or what. I have a 2002 with 41k miles on it and havent had any other problems with my truck. Thanks for any info.

I have noticed this too. Mine's an 04 with 48k mikes. First I thought is was a pebble in the tire grooves but it never went away. It's not loud, just annoying if I pay attention to it.

I assume you are both four wheel drive. If so, you are descibing what is a common issue with the front Constant Velociity joints.

The joints are repairable but not normally worth the effort or the cost as replaceement shafts are moderately priced and you have to do the same labor to repair or rebuild the CV joint as far as removing the shaft goes.

Yes Coastiejoe I do have the 4wd. I havent tried putting my truck into 4wd high and checking for the clicking sound. What would be the worst case scenerio if I keep driving this way over time?

Worst case... The joint breaks. But in your case unless it jams within itself your still going to be able to drive thr truck as the front shafts are only uised in four wheel drive.

Clicking is an indication that the joint is starting to fail. In most cases this will last for a thousand miles and get no worse. You will hear it when it is getting ready to fail. It will make some NASTY noises...

It sounds like an axle or even a hub bearing going bad...

Just check the tires for a nail or screw or a rock stuck in them..

Todd Z

Is it a 1977 Mickey Rivers card in the spokes held on with a clothespin?

Oh, wait that is what happens on a Schwinn (Sting Ray preferably, the classic, not the new low rider)

JT#14

Latest posts