clicking or light clunking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
Wife and I were sitting at the beach, with the trac idiling, eating lunch. We kept hearing something like a light clunk every 30 or forty seconds. I don't know if it could be the fuel pump or something else and should I be concerned? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Benny

Air conditioner on? A/C clutch? More noise description and details please.

Most likely the exhaust system cooling. Sometimes when you idle, or shut the engine off, the exhaust cools and will start to make a clicking noise.

...Rich

My wife said the same thing to me a couple weeks ago. I left it running while she waited for me to go into Del Taco to pick up some tacos:banana: She said it felt like someone had bumped into the truck about every 20 seconds or so. I had left the climate controls on in "auto" setting, and I determined that it was the AC clutch cycling on and off. The compressor works pretty much year round even in the cooler temps. Pop your hood with it running and watch the compressor and see if the on/off cycling of it coincides with the clunk you're hearing.

I have that sometimes with the engine running while sitting (it may happen while driving, but it is faint and I probably can't hear it), too, but never at a place where I can investigate, and never at home ... click-click-click.

Sounds like the A/C clutch cycling on and off to me.. its normal if the defrost is on or in a vehicle with Auto climate control it will happen all the time.. if it bothers you just unplug the wires at the A/C compressor clutch

If it is the AC clutch cycling on and off, you will hear a slight change in the engine's idle RPMs. You can also confirm if it's the AC by simply setting the controls to Vent (No AC) If the clicking stops, it was the AC clutch cycling.

...Rich

THANKS ALL. I think it was the AC clutch as many of you had suggested. Turned off AC and the noise is gone. I wish all of our problems were that easy to take care of.

Benny

Latest posts