Clicking Noise at 2000rpm+

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Martinez

Reaction score
Alright. So I've been hearing this ever since I drove to Orlando (500mi there and back, did 65 both ways).

It's a clicking sound, almost sounds like a lifter clicking. but obviously can't be since I have SOHC...I definitely don't hear it as loudly when I'm not in gear. I hear the clicking most prominently at anything above 2000 rpm (starts loudly almost immediately at 2000), and I'm sure it's just as loud at higher rpms, but since I have a side exhaust, I don't hear much more than exhaust after 4000.

I'm kinda flipping out here...because I was told it could be a timing chain tensioner...on the back of the motor...and if I'm taking the motor out, I'm not replacing the one chain...I need something that's literally start and go...so I'd most likely pick up another SOHC at my local yard and rebuild it with stock internals with new journals/seals/gaskets...so that I basically have a 0mi motor. But that's just me, since rebuilding a motor isn't that big of a deal to me.

However...if it's transmission, that would just add to the scary sounds I've been hearing lately out of IT.....

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what it was.

The chain makes more of a constant rattle like car keys ratteling...... An exhaust leak, or Follower or sticky valve will make a tapping noise.....

Todd Z

Kinda afraid it might be a cam follower or sticky valve then...Not a fan of using fuel/oil additives, but would something along those lines perhaps free up the sticky valve?

Thanks for the advice!

I would try the seafoam, look up projects under maintenance, and there is a write up about it.

I have never had any troubles in any vehicle that I have run that in, including, boat, sleds and 4 wheelers. :supercool:

I recommend something easy and inexpensive first: AMSOIL Engine Flush, followed by changeover to AMSOIL synthetic oil. You can see my oil article in Projects.

I Seafoamed around 80, then seafoamed again at 110. I'm at 127 now, and I've heard seafoaming a lot is bad for the motor.

As far as the AMSOIL, I'm gonna try that, if you guys wouldn't recommend the seafoam once again, ha ha.

This engine does have lifters...sort of. They are called hydraulic lash adjusters and are there to keep tension on the cam folowers so that they don't fall out. They operate on oil pressure just like hydraulic lifters do and when they start to fail sound just like a lifter tick..

I've read around on other forums and people keep saying it's a timing chain tensioner.

They all say it's a clicking noise around 2000-3000 rpm, only because at 3000 rpm the engine noise drowns it out.

Everyone says it's an expensive fix. Like $1k...

I'm taking it to my local dealer for them to absolutely diagnose the problem. A buddy of mine works there, and he can get me a deal on labour and all that. Free diag too...

Now comes the decision...do I want to fix this motor? Or rebuild another SOHC, and put it in there? Giving me a 0mi motor...

Oh my goodness, I did not know they were less than an hour away from me! Guess I got a shop to visit. I think one of their motors would be around what I was figuring to have a 5.0L professionally installed and tuned plus I'd have the experts local.

That Hi-Po 3.8L looks mighty interesting, too.

Latest posts