Clattering/ Rattle noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd Quarles

Reaction score
Well, I am up to 40,000 miles on my 05. A few minor aggravations along the way but nothing huge. I am now hearing a rattle or clatter sound, especially when accelerating from around 45 mph. At lower constant speeds or higher constant speeds, I don't hear anything. It's probably not major but what could it be?

With that said, I may have to part with the Trac soon. Gas just climbed well over $3 per gallon in my area and with the amount of driving I do for work related purposes, I just can't afford to keep spending what I am spending. I would hate to see it happen because I know I would take a beating trading it in on something smaller. Plus I wouldn't be as comfortable anymore.

But anyway...whether I keep it or not, I want it to be in good shape. I have completely followed all maintenance and taken good care of it, so I want to get this problem fixed.

How new is the fuel filter ???

How clean is the air filter ???

Just saying they are change recently is not good, Physically look at them...

Then try higher octane gas..

IF still there, try a 10w30 motor oil....

This will help diagnose it if it is engine chain noise or detonation without bringing it to a mechanic..

Todd Z

Todd,

Fuel filter is about 5 months old, air filter was just replaced about a month ago. I checked and they look ok. As for the higher octane gas, I really can't afford it right now. I am doing good to pay the cost of regular at this point. I can try the 10W-30 oil at the next changing.

I have a rattling noise at the same rpms on my 04 with just over 40K miles. I have a new fuel filter, I've changed the oil, a couple of pulleys, and switched to 91 octane, but the noise persists when the engine is cold. I think it could be the infamous timing-chain rattle in which case I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed.

I'll be changing my plugs and wires when I get my wires in, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with the noise.