Class 3 hitch - Do I need a drop?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
I just installed my class 3 hitch on my 2002 Trac. The question I have is for general towing ( A small trailer, my 74 Beetle etc) would I need any amount of drop for the ball mount?

On my old Dakota I had a 7" drop because of the lift kit on the truck. My Trac is a bone stock 4x4. So... would I need a drop or would a straight ball mount be correct?

BTW how do you measure a drop? Is it a specific distance from floor to receiver?

On my 03 i never needed any type of lowering receiver..... I Have towed rented trailers and my own ......

Todd Z

So... would I need a drop or would a straight ball mount be correct?

This is a difficult question to answer. Each trailer is different. Some have a low "A" while others have a high "A". It all depends on the trailer. The only way to know for sure is to measure from the floor to the hitch while the trailer is level and then on the truck.

Tom

I used a 5 inch drop on a straight tongued box trailer[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
So... would I need a drop or would a straight ball mount be correct?

It all depends on the trailer.

BTW how do you measure a drop? Is it a specific distance from floor to receiver?

Distance down from the receiver to the ball mounting surface of the ball mount.

My jetski trailer sits kind of high and I use a mount with a 1.5" drop and it's level with that.

Hmm,

Looks like I will have to 1st see how the Beetles tow bar sits at level. I still have my 7" drop unit. Maybe I'll get one of those adjustable ball mounts.

21af5cd6a74a2e9a0949f199fa687274.jpg