CHIRPING NOISE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana Lynds

Reaction score
I have a 2003 2wd with 92000 miles. Have replaced Idler Pulley and Tensioner within the

last six months. On cold days it sounds like a bird (chirping noise) until it warms up. Tks

for your help.

Harmonic balancer?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302068

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267709

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try spraying some WD40 on those pulley bearings to rule them out. Just because you replaced them once doesn't mean they can't chirp again

Per mechanic the chirping noise was coming from the serpentine belt. A Gates K060860

was replaced with a Conti- Tech # PK060868.

I recently had Spinal Fusion and wasn't able to do it myself and didn't want to debate

the size of the new serpentine belt with the mechanic.

As always thanks for the help.....

I think there's debate and confusion as to which part # is correct as both are listed as fitting. I bought new belts for my STs last summer, but haven't installed either of them. I can't remember which # I bought, but I do remember debating which one to get. I think I was able to read the # on one of the old ones and got the same for the replacements.

The chirp or squeal is back. Yesterday the mechanic said it was the serpentine belt and

replaced it. Started it up today and the chirp or squeal had returned for the 1st 18 miles

and then it was fine for another 80 miles.

Called the owner of the shop and told him how delighted I was about the issue and will

be returning on Monday. :banghead:

Some of the Ford motors have a hard to locate chirping noise that comes from the Cam Position Sensor when the bearings in it go bad, not sure if it applies to the 4.0 SOHC or not though. My 5.0 V8 has developed a chirping recently, and seeing as how the belt, tensioner assembly and idler pulley are all new, I believe it may be the culprit. I need to pull the belt off this weekend and see if the noise is still present.

Basically, in the 5.0 V8, the CPS is like a distributor minus the top rotor and hat, and it fits into the block where the distributor used to and meshes with the gear on the camshaft, as well as drives the oil pump. The actual 'sensor" is then mounted at the top right where the opening in the lower intake manifold is, and it provides the ECU with timing info to fire the coil packs.

I remember when I bought a Napa alternator a while back it ran good for a few months.

One day I noticed a chirping noise and couldn't pinpoint it until I used a long piece of 3/8" rubber hose as a stethoscope to place the other end right into focus areas. I wound up narrowing mine down to the rear of the alternator where the internal voltage regulator sits.

Replaced under warranty and the new one solved the noise issue.

One day I noticed a chirping noise and couldn't pinpoint it until I used a long piece of 3/8" rubber hose as a stethoscope to place the other end right into focus areas.

That sounds like a great way of doing it.

Another cheap and handy stethoscope is the biggest longest screwdriver in your toolbox. Press the metal tip onto the suspect part and your ear on the handle end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U927cYhQXB4

Latest posts