chevy leveling kit vs. ford tt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Just finished helping my buddy install a leveling kit for his chevy silverado. Although a simple task it is comparably a bigger pain in the a$$ than what I signed up for. In the back of my mind when he said 'he man i want to raise the front of my truck like you did' I assumed a simple torsion bolt tightening... hour and a half later I made him buy a twelve pack... Thumbs up to ford on a torsion bar suspension there! :smile0006:

ps His truck looks much more aggressive now. it was a hour and half well spent imo.

Yeah, but the torsion bars have more of a travel limit, cant take the abuse of heavy road, and can fail..

Todd Z

All 3, Chevy Ford & Dodge have used torsion bar suspension. While it is easy to screw the torsion bolt in farther to the raise the vehicle. Remember that as you do so, you are multiplying the load on the bar and extending the torsional twist, which is applying more stress to the bar, which in turn can result in premature weakening. Torsion bar is just like other suspension parts, there are only so much stress they can take before failure. Simple reason that race cars with torsion bar suspension have and frequently change bars, for different ride height and control at less that what the max of the bar is.

Came across Daystar, a company that makes the holder for the torsion bar. The holder (not correct term) is "clocked" a little more than a stock holder so when the torsion bar is set "nornal" the "clocking" of the new holder raise the vehicle. Has anyone tried one of these?? They are mad for a variety of makes and they also make shackles for the rear springs to provide some lift to the back.

When the weather warms up (Iowa) will be trying these out, too cold to do any unnecessary wrenching this time of year.