Checking LS rear diff oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark B

Reaction score
Dropped the ST off at Jiffy-Lube during lunch today (I know but I had a coupon and it's miserable H-O-T around here). When the tech gave me the fluid check rundown, he tried to sell me a rear differential oil change. He showed me a white card with a drop of 'my' dirty gear oil on it. I wanted to say WTH? right then but I've never actually messed with a differential before.

Can you even sample that oil without removing the cover?

Does a limited-slip diff require regular attention? I couldn't find any recommended maintenence in my Ford docs. I'm at 44,000 miles.

You can get a sample from the diff fill plug.

Doing the white card is ILLEGAL by the Federal Government..... JL's have been sued and lost in NY CT NJ RI and other places for scamming people...

IF you have a LSD rear ford says it is life time fluid.. NEVER change just top off...

It is synthetic with special additives.. Jiffy would never charge only 44 bucks....

I personally still chagned my LSD rear and front every 30K...

They would probably use regular fluid... You want a new rear,, let them change it...

Todd Z

Never trust a place that does oil changes in 10 minutes. At least, I don't. My sister's Grand Am never got an oil filter put on before she droveway from the shop. $$$ :rolleyes:.

Latest posts