Checkbook Balance Software. Looking for suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Pretty much like it says. Looking for software to balance our checkbook and keep track of things a bit better than I am doing now.

Free would be great, but I am ok with spending some money if it is what we are after.

So, any advice????

Thanks...

Kevin, this has no real bells and whistles but I have used it daily for going on my 3rd year. "I" think it is awesone. Check it out. $10 for a lifetime subscription and updates.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
MS Money and Intuit Quicken are probably the two most widely used applications. Neither are free.

Personally, I use Quicken and have for many years. While it has many features you will not save time over a manual system if all you use it for is maintaining a checkbook.

I suspect some of our other members will chime in to extoll the virtures of other, less known (or popular) competing applications.

I use Bank of America online banking (free). Would never go back. While it's not software to balance the checkbook per se, it is very easy to see exactly where you stand with your accounts. And, because I almost never use checks anymore, all I really do is look over the expenses to make sure they look correct. You can download the account data directly into Quicken or MS Money if you desire. I did that for awhile but found it didn't really do anything for me the BoA online service didn't. Once you have it set up, electronic bill pay is great as well. Also, you can use the Military bank. Service has always been exceptional and despite the Navy moves there have always been banks/ATMs readily available. Not sure this is what you're looking for, but good luck.

Can't get much more free than a simple spreadsheet. If you don't have something like Excel already you can download OpenOffice.

I was thinking Excel as well. And, I am very good at the formulas and various formats used in Excel. Sooo, that is certainly an option.

Larue, I will look at that tomorrow, thanks for the info.

Quicken is inexpensive and interfaces with most banks for online banking and downloading statements.

if you wait untill January you will be able to get quicken or morney for free with the purchase of turbo tax or tax cut software... makes buying the tax program worth while...

troy

I use MS Money, have since '02. Works really well, all of my accounts offer free downloads of my statements formatted for it and is real easy to set up and use.

Like PRM said, it doesn't get any better than BOA online bill pay. I'm so sick of Excel spreadsheets at work, I sure don't want to see them at home.

I've paid bills from all over the U.S. while out on the road. A few I have on auto pay. It is the most simplistic thing going. Been using this since inception, about 6 years I think.

I actually write about 6 checks a year now.

Kevin,

I have been using an Excel spreadsheet for about 10 years now and it works great.

If you want a copy, I'll send you a copy with some sample entries and it will be self explainatory. Just let me know.

...Rich

I agree with Rich. Excel is probably the simplest and cheapest considering you probably already have Office. Once you set up the formulas for one worksheet, copy into another for the next month.

Kevin,

I will email you a copy tomorrow. It's on my personal computer and I am currently using my company's laptop, plus I have to clean out my data and enter some sample entries.

...Rich

I've got Quicken as well. Been using it since 1994 and haven't lost the file yet! pretty scary when you look at what you've spent on groceries, gas, and mortgage payments over the last 12 years!

Yep, BOA on line banking is it. Hardly ever write checks any more. As for keeping track of what I've spent, don't really want to. I think it would scare me or be too depressing. As long as I have enough each month and a little left over, really don't care.

BOA has one major problem--and it's that they don't live up to their name. "of America" seems to indicate that they would serve all of America--but there are no BOA's here in Minnesota, and it's my understanding that this is the case in much of the country.

Fortunately, there are lots of banks out there that have just as good of online systems--just check some of the websites of some of the banks that serve your local market. I am very pleased with US Bank's online services. (Although they, too, shouldn't be allowed to call themselves that, until they expand to cover the rest of the country.)

Latest posts