check gas cap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your filler door closed all the way? I have a roll-up material I tuck in there that I use to prevent scratches on my paint ... when it's not tucked all the way in the door will be slightly open which causes the check cap message to come on.

If the cap is tight, and the gasket is clean, Replace the cap...

There is no sensor on the door, Sorry that is silly.... Replace your cap.

To reset the light, just Waite a couple of days, OR disconnect the battery for 10 min.

Todd Z

Todd, I know it may sound silly, however, in my 05 it is exactly as described. When I didn't tuck the protective material in enough and the door was not fully shut the "check gas cap" light came on. Silly or not, it happened and when I retucked the material and fully closed the door the light went off. Not to offend, I know you're the Zen master here and have helped me before, just stating my case :D

gwac, it could take a couple days, weeks, etc. It takes about 8 cycles of it checking everything before it will turn out on it's own. Just disconnect the battery for at least 10 min. That will reset the computer. If the light comes back on, it's something else.;)

I know this is a stupid question, to disconnect the battery do I need to to

detach both wire or only one?

tia

Only one is required. Remove the negative cable, wait 15 minutes, then replace it. Use the time in between to clean the battery terminal and the cable clamp.

ok, i've got a light that stays on, check gauge, (which in Job1) is for the fuel tank, it's ALWAYS stuck on empty, hasn't registered level of gas for about 8 months now, how do i fix this, it's driving me crazy,....... i have to keep an eye on my tripodometer, instead of relying on the gas gauge, it's not fun,.... i've tried everything i can think of to try and fix it, but nope, noth'n works,.. do i have to take it in for them to fix it? also, my overhead temp gauges don't work or light up anymore either,.... nor does my fog lights,... it seems it all kinda did a domino effect,... gas gauge stopped, fog lights don't work, overhead temp gauges don't work,.... aaaaaagh what next??? any suggestions,.....

~Dove~

Latest posts