Check Engine light P0442 - EVAP Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POJ Irving

Reaction score
I know this has been done many times before but it is something we can never stop saying - Thanks to everyone for making the site so INVALUABLE to members like myself. Through all the expert knowledge and suggestions given on here I have finally been able to get rid of the pesky check engine light caused by the code p0442 and the annoying and mysterious smell of gas / petrol fumes in the engine compartment. What you might ask was the culprit? The Evap hose used for the smoke test. I have never moved this hose or had reason to move it but some how it found itself next to what I believe it the High-side of the A/C Pipe, (see picture) causing the hot pipe to burn the hose. If this is how your hose is routed, please re-route it

immediately.

http://72.35.72.219/~library/16756/Fuel%20Line/1027111216-00.jpg

The hole was very small, the size of a pin head. I had to take the entire connection off the Evap canister purge valve and the pipe that leads from the fuel tank in order to find it. Part # 9G271 AA which incidentally is no longer available from Ford as this part is now obsolete according to local dealer. This hose should not be examined unless you have disconnected it from the two sources after you have disconnected the battery of course.Feeling it or looking at it with light will not help in its present location.

Anyway, since Ford no longer supplies this part I had to be inventive so this is where Goop sealant and adhesive came into play along with black electrical tape.

Thanks again to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts