Check Engine light P0442 - EVAP Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POJ Irving

Reaction score
Need help please from anyone, primarily Todd Z. I have been having the dreaded Code P0442 ever since I had Sears installed some new shocks on the Trac. Would and probably should have done the job myself but with the Monroe deal of buy 3 get one free, it worked out better having someone else do the job for the same money as buying the shocks and doing the job myself.

Anyways, ever since the job was done about 3 months ago, I have had the code p0442. I even took the Trac back to Sears, they looked at it, did some work and cleared the code, well it came back. Did the Fuel cap thing, cleared the code and its back. I checked all the possible things Todd Z suggested in a previous post I found dated 05/19/2010.

Did the zip tie on the hoses attached to the charcoal canister and cleared the code, however while checking I smelt petrol fumes.

Todd Z, part of your post said " Also under the hood drivers side is a green valve stem cap next to the radiator, make sure that hose is not broken as well".. I took a photo..

What is this valve stem? I checked the hose connected to it and it does not appear broken or cracked but I can smell petrol fumes from this area. The hose is connected to a clear looking elbow. See photo

Based on my observation, I am thinking that the fuel comes from the tank and flows through a unit where these clear and green connectors/ elbows are attached. What is this unit? And can this be the cause of the EVAP Leak code P0442? Thanks for all the help.

PJ

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue. It kept coming back up after it was cleared. I was involved in an accident where my battery became unplugged for about thirty min. I plugged it back up and the code was gone an hasn't came back.

What is this valve stem?

That is where a tech will hook a smoke test machine. Helps to find a leak in the system.

I have been having the dreaded Code P0442 ever since I had Sears installed some new shocks on the Trac.

IMO you still have a leak above the spare tire. If you have sniped the ends of the hoses and zip tied them. Sears might have broke a nipple on the box. I would drop the box and inspect it closer.

Thanks Eddie,

I will have another look at the hoses and the canister. Last Thursday I spent the better half of my day off under the trac feeling around and inspecting as much as I could, but saw nor felt anything. Had a doctors appointment so I did drop the box so I could have missed something because after clearing the code it came back this morning while on the way to work.

Funny thing though, just before the check engine light came on I smelt a whiff of petrol fumes. Once the light came on the smell was gone, could be coincidence. If nothing turns up @ the canister I will get under the drivers side front wheel well to check on the hoses in the photo.

On way or the other I will fix this.

I had the same issue after shock install. It was a hose loose at the evap box. Took the shop 2 tries and a smoke test to find it but they did and I have not had the CEL back on for about 3 weeks now. Something else to look at is, open the gas cap and look at the brass looking flap that is supposed to close off the filler tube. I had an issue with mine not completely closing after fill-ups. Using a flathead screwdriver a small amount of WD40 mine is now closing properly.

Thanks Greg, I plan on dropping the box tomorrow after I help my neighbor with a transmission leak problem, if the weather holds up.Yesterday I stopped by a local Ford dealer to find out how much the hose between the boxes costs. Quote $37.00 plus tax special order 2-3 days delivery. I plan on being as careful as possible.

When the trac was under warranty 65k miles ago the brass flap collapsed but it did not produce a CEL. A Ford dealer fixed it, the flap hasn't moved much but I will do a you suggested, to eliminate as many possible causes.

PJ

Hi I had the p0224 error so I started checking hoses and found that the smoke test hose (opposite end of the green filler cap) had broke the nipple off its connector. So the nipple is still in the end of the smoke test hose. Does anyone know the part number or name of this white plastic connector? It has two hoses coming off of it one being the smoke test hose.

Thanks for your time,

Max

Hi I had the p0442 error so I started checking hoses and found that the smoke test hose (opposite end of the green filler cap) had broke the nipple off its connector. So the nipple is still in the end of the smoke test hose. Does anyone know the part number or name of this white plastic connector? It has two hoses coming off of it one being the smoke test hose.

Ive temporarily taped the hole on the connector and the p0442 is gone for now.

Thanks for your time,

Max

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts