check engine light- auxilary emissions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My check engine light came on in my 01 trac after hitting a deer two years ago. I took it to Autozone and they said it was an emission sensor. I called my dealership, he said if the light wasn't red it wasn't a big deal. And that it would cost me about $180.00 to replace the sensor. So the trucks always ran fine I didn't worry about it. Well as I said that was two years ago. The truck still runs fine but I'm so sick of that light being on, people are afraid to ride in my truck thinking it could break down any time. So I went to Autozone again recently. This guy told me it was auxilary emissions. He said I may have a gas cap that doesn't seal completey, that some how fumes are getting out and that's what sets it off. Does anyone know about this and where can i get a gas cap if that could be it? Do I have to get it from a dealership? Thanks, Jamie

Go to a reputable shop and have them look at it. The people at Autozone used to work at McDonalds and Walmart and are NOT in ANY WAY auto technicians. They have to take a class to know how to use the Autozone computer and what the differrence between a starter and alternator is.....this is belt.......this is a gasket ect. Their code "checker" tells absoluetly NOTHING about what is really wrong with your vehicle. I know the dealer is sometimes a joke as well so ask around about where is a really great shop from friends, relatives ect. Word of mouth is the BEST way to advertise.

Jamie, what was the exact code.. IT should start with a P.....

It can be a bunch of things... a DPFE sensor, the broken vacuum elbow, or the elbow that is in the drivers side rear wheel well....

It is hard to help not knowing the exact code number...

Todd Z

Go to Autozone and have them give you the code ID not his interpretation, or the brief description displayed on the reader. Most engine codes will start with the letter "P"(for Powertrain) and will be followed by a 4 digit number.

...Rich

Latest posts