CHeck Engine Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Santana

Reaction score
Ok Guys here we go, I have tried and tried to keep my truck running smoothly. But this things is making me made now. I installed an After Market Radio with the shallow mount subs and had the thing in my grage for about 6 weeks all taken apart. This of course all started due to the massive leak I had over the winter from a disconnected drian line from my sunroof which in turn had soaked the underside of the rubber floor causing a moldy smell and lots of rust around the seat bolts. It must have been like that for months unchecked and never drying out.

Anyway my latest issue is now I have it all together and was out enjoying a trip to the cape for some late night striper fishing when the CEL light came on and the car was sputtering and wanting to stall. I managed to drive home as it was ok on he highway but stalled at lights.

5 codes:

P2196 - O2 sensor bank1 lean

P0300 - Multiple misfiring

P0301 - Cyliber1 misfire

P0302 - cyliner2 misfire

P0303 - cylinder3 misfire

- I have changed the fuel filter, wires and plugs within the past year or so so I am not sure

if I should take these off again to check them out.

- I am buying a fuel pressure gage today to check on the fuel presussure and I bought 2 o2 sensors to change. They probably need it anyway

- Also I ran the truck with some low gas that was sitting in the tank for the 6 weeks. Any chance that sucking up gunk from the tank bottom is the culprit.

- Any ideas where to go next?

Joseymack

How does one check the coil pack? And is the coil pack the 6 prong thing the plug wires go into? Would I just buy a replacement on to check it?

Check the common elbow to see if that cracked, check your MAF.... hows your fuel and air filter ???

As for testing the coil you would need a tester and ohm it... But if you can get a used one it would be way easier, But i would think you have an air leak of some sort..

Todd Z

I did check the common elbot and it seemed a little soft and squeezed... I was unsure how to remove it but I will check the site projects..

The coil pack is checked using a ohm meter for the primary and secondary there are specific values that show whether it is good or not. They can be found in the Chiltons or Hayes manuals.

Have you cleared the codes and waited for them to re-set to see if they matched the first set or any additional, more specific, codes set? The possible causes for the two main codes are so general that they're almost no help.

I did check the common elbow and it seemed a little soft and squeezed... I was unsure how to remove it but I will check the site projects..

Pretty good indication it's defective.

P0300 - Random Misfire

Description:

The random misfire DTC indicates multiple cylinders are misfiring or the PCM cannot identify which cylinder is misfiring.

Possible Causes:

Camshaft position sensor (CMP)

Low fuel: less than 1/8 tank

Stuck open EGR valve

Blocked EGR passages

Diagnostic Aides

One or more EGR passages may be blocked or partially blocked. If this is the case the Misfire Detection Monitor will indicate the EGR port to check for possible blockage.

P2196 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Sensor Indicates Rich

A HEGO sensor indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

Possible Causes

Electrical:

Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S

Water in harness connector

Open/Shorted HO2S circuit

Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring

Damaged HO2S

Damaged PCM

Fuel System:

Excessive fuel pressure

Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors

Leaking fuel pressure regulator

Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel

Vapor recovery system

Induction System:

Air leaks after the MAF

Vacuum Leaks

PCV system

Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:

Leaking gasket

Stuck EGR valve

Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:

Oil overfill

Cam timing

Cylinder compression

Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I will have my work cut out this weekend..... I am gonna simply try and use some fuel injector cleaner as I think I may have sucked up some bottom of the tank gunk. I will change the fuel filter while I'm at it. I will put a scan on the Coils too... Hopefully I can figure this out. Thanks for the help.

By the way the elbow thing has 1 screw in it. Once I remove that screw does the hose just simply pull off?

Thanks for the tips

Jose

All of your misfires are on the passenger side of the motor along with a lean code on that side of the motor also....this is a huge clue. The codes will lead you to believe that only the right bank is running lean but unless you can view live data you don't know. Lets assume that the codes are correct. It's a safe bet to say that the misfire codes are showing up due to the lean condition so lets deal with the lean condition. It's not very likely that you had all 3 injectors on the right bank go bad all at once. If you had a fuel pressure issue then both banks should be running lean and you would have misfires on both banks also. If you had a vacuum leak again both banks would be lean. There are only 2 things left that control the fuel delivery to the right bank, one is the pcm adn the other is the upstream oxygen sensor...I would be looking for an upstream O2 sensor that is sticking.

Once again without being able to look at the live data in the pcm you can't be sure if only one bank is running lean or both banks are. Often times the pcm will only set a code for one bank running lean when in fact both of them are.

I actually went out and bought 2 O2 sensors, the Coil pack and some fuel injector cleaner and fuel filter. I will chekc the elbow and maybe replace it, I will also replace the o2 sensors

I will update you folks to let you know what i find....

Joseymack

Josey,

While that is great i hate to see you just replace parts uncessarly...

Todd Z

Joseymack,

A couple years ago I had a check engine light, in which I was told was a lean engine, bank code, I think passenger side. Was told it was the O2 sensors.

After researching on this site, I checked the infamous elbow. I removed the elbow and I found a small crack. I replaced the elbow for a few dollars and never got that code again.

Why bang up the knuckles replacing parts if you don't have to?

My 2 cents,

JOE

Yep, I got the code for Left bank lean, and then a few days later, right bank lean. It was the elbow. Replaced it (With plastic hose) and the PCV valve. (OEM parts) No problems since.

Diagnosis and troubleshooting ROCKS! :banana: :grin:

Parts-changing is expensive and frustrating. :banghead: :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts