Changing out my water pump, any other maintenance suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
Like the topic says, tomorrow I'll be changing out my water pump. I'll be buying it from NAPA for 87 dollars. Better than the stealership at 200 dollars. Anyway, should I go ahead and purchase a serpentine belt, tensioner, idler, etc?

Any suggestions for changing out the water pump.

The by-pass hose. Good time to get to it. Buy a good one. You want it to last, as hard as they are to get to.

Belt, tensioner and idler sounds like a good idea to me. Relatively inexpensive parts and easy access since you've got things apart.

If you replace your belt tensioner stay away from the autozone duralast brand. It held the belt tight but when the weather dropped to around freezing the tensioner made a odd clicking noise until it warmed up. Drove me nuts trying to track it down. I went to oreilly as they sold a Gates tensioner which was the OEM supplier, ticking noise went away and has been running great since I installed it. I'd recommend changing it and your idler pulley if you have high millaege, just as a preventative item