1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Changing Front Diff Fluid

Thread in 'Fluids: Oil, ATF, Coolant, etc.' started by H D, Feb 18, 2011.

1. H D

H D Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Ok, so this sucks. Do I have to remove the front driveshaft, hub bearings, and cv shafts to remove the axle housing and change the front differential fluid? I don't like the idea of using a suction gun, but if I have to go through all that work to do something I'm not sure is absolutely necessary, I'm either going to suck it out or not do it at all. I don't like those options. Somebody please tell me there is an easier way. Do I really have to spend a full day in the garage to change a fluid?

The more I try to deal with this independent suspension, the more I want the simplicity of a solid axle.:angry:

On a good note, the weather is beautiful and its time to start working on the vehicles again!:banana:

I just need to get my Cougar down here from my parents'.

2. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Yes..... BUT you could drill a small hole in the bottom of the aluminum casting and tap a 1/4 thread or 3/8 and install a plug..... i did this on mine when it was out to break in the gears...

but suction is the only way to do it without dropping the whole thing... i have dropped mine 2 times to put gears in it took about 2 -3 hours each time on my back...

Todd Z

3. H D

Thanks Todd. How often should I be changing the fluid? I've read about lifetime fluids, but I just can't bring myself to trust that. This is all the results of getting stuck last week and having the front end under water for a couple hours.:banghead:

4. Jon OData

Jon OData Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

You can go to the Valvoline Quicky-Lube and they will do it with a suction machine for about $45 last I looked. The manual will tell you the lube is good for 100k or life, depending, unless you get it underwater, but I would do it every 50k as a preventative. I will have my front done soon when it hits 50k. I did the rear at 30k because Gen 2 rears have a drain plug and I wanted to play.

5. H D

Definitely been underwater. Thought it would be more than $45 at a Quicky-Lube. Found the solution. Thanks!

6. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Remember it is synthetic fluid !!!!!

Todd Z

7. Jerry G.

Jerry G. Active Member

Well yes front Diff oil change is easy if you do it like I did . Get the truck up high enough to get under it. This involves a quick measure of your gut area . Get under there and look at the diff. for about 5 minutes and say FPS! For pete sake. or you could say something worst like holy differential! How in the heck do I do this . Then you crawl out from under the truck put the oil back in the cabinet and say that wasn't too bad at all . Now bring the truck back down and forgetit.