Changed 2 spark plugs...now very rough, can't drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I don't blame the plugs at all, especially after putting the old ones back in with the same issue. Unless something totally random happened, I would point at my new wires.

Got the scanner coming at 5 to check the codes (I've been getting horrible gas mileage as is, which is why I started with changing plugs and wires).

Ever think maybe you knocked a vacuum hose off ????

Todd Z

Todd,

Yeah, went hunting for about an hour for that. I checked all the vacuum towards the back because that's where the wires run. I let it idle and sprayed with starter fluid hoping to get a rise in idle, but got nothing.

I assumed at first that's what it was, and still very well could be but it's not showing it's ugly head easily.

It maybe coincendence but if he has the '01 job one engine. It might be the infamous intake manfold leak. Also if you have an ohm meter I would check the resistance on all the new wires. Make shure they are within spec. A bad wire can carry a spark but not carry all the voltage for the current to create good spark. I think the rule of thumb is 1000 ohms per foot for standard oem type wires.

I don't know which engine it is, 4.0, and when I bought it it ran really badly as far as gas mileage etc., dealership replaced intake manifold o rings they said. It was fine after that.

I will see what the scan tool says for me in a little while, and go from there. I won't bother testing the wires I'll just go buy another set if it comes up with a cylinder issue. I can't imagine the coil pack just pooped from putting to plug wires on it.

How do I know if it's a Job 1? Or what it is. I know most of the pictures on here show a half cover over the throttle body, but mine has a full cover all the way to the firewall.

Code scanned #2 and #6 misfire. 02 Sensors check fine, and it's dumping raw fuel to the exhaust...will change plugs and wires and see what's up.

-Curt

Well, it was one of the new wires!!! It caused #2 and #6 (why both I have no idea since #6 was an existing wire).

I bought a new set of "xact" style wires from Advance, and per pretty much everyones recommendation that I talked to locally, I put Champion plugs in. It runs smoother than it ever has! I'm normally an NGK fan being the import specialst of sorts, but I'll know better next time I play Ford Mechanic!

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Curt, good to hear you got it fixed. You'll still catch hell around here for using Champion Spark Plugs.:D Not from me mind you. I've had a set of Bosch +2's in mine for some time now with no problems what-so-ever and am still averaging 18-20 MPG city/highway mix.;)

Well I'd LOVE to get 18-20mpg, I average about 15. :( Nothing points to the mileage issue, and I was getting about that before the tires and slight lift. Not good.

Thinking about doing an open air filter intake style to help out, but still seems like something isn't quite right. O2's didn't throw a code but wonder if they're in spec. Any easy way to test?

-Curt

Unfortunately, there isn't an "easy" fix to get more MPG's. Most "add-on's" will get you a slight raise in MPG. Probably the most natable would be a X-Cal with a feul saver type program. Some people have these but I can't recall anyone actually posting the increases. You can try cleaning the intake, upper cylinders, TB, and such. You may be able to squeeze a few more MPG that way. The ST is a heavy b*tch and the V6 just isn't programed to sip the gas. It chugs it like a college kid at a frat party.;)

I just put a full tank of gas in her, and I have to say, it runs better than it EVER has for me. It has all kinds of new found power, and it's smoother over all. Couldn't be happier.

We'll see what it gets on gas this time around, by the way it is reacting, it could easily be my lost MPG.

I'm going to open up the intake and do some other tricks I've learned along the way, and see where it goes.

Again, thank you to everyone on the Forum, it's a great and hopefully growing resource!

Champion plugs. They may make great plugs for lawnmowers, but I would have installed Motorcraft plugs.

OBD-II can be great with diagnosing problems. other times it aint worth a crap.

My brother has a miss on his 1999 Explorer. IIRC, it was cylinder number 3 misfire. Replaced the plug and it ran like new. We ended up changing all the plugs, but was impressed it pointed to that one cylinder.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Tom

My John Deere specifies Champion. Then again, I have a Kohler Command 13 engine in it.

I bet yours has a Kawasaki engine.

Tom

Latest posts