Change the power steering fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a way to change the power steering fluid? I read somewhere on these forms years back to use a suction device to remove the old fluid and install new however this needed to be done twice. Is this correct?

Just did this myself.

Used a turkey baster I got from the dollar store.

Sucked out all the fluid I could from the reservoir.

Added new fluid then drove around for a bit.

Repeat.

I used a few feet of 5/16 inch hose from home dummy and siphoned it off, refill, drive like you are on the formula one track at moncao lock to lock @ 10 mph and repeat. I used 2 quarts of atf and that got it pretty clean.

I drain it with a turkey baster (bought specifically for the garage) and refill it every other oil change.

So, I assume you would only drain it down so far to avoid getting air in the lines? Never changed it our before on any of my vehicles but it sounds like a good idea.

Any particular brand of power steering fluid you'd recommend?

Thanks,

'07 ST

Last edited by a moderator:
i would not worry about it. the resivior is the highest point in the system, so even if you did suck air intot he rack or the lines, it would still make its way out. i had lots of air in mine turning the oil frothy pink, but once you refill it and turn lock to lock a couple of times, the fluid all cycles back up to the resivior and you are golden!

I take off the return line connect a hose, start the truck, add fluid till it comes out clean....

Makes a little of a mess but soo worth it.......

Also 2 people helps..

Steve,

Failures and heat problems come from not changing ps and brake fluid.... 2 fluids most people over look..

Todd Z

My son got his transmission fluid changed a few weeks ago on his 2001 Sunfire. He came up with an innovative way. Drive on a road you aren't familar, bottom out the car, put a hole in the transmission pan cover.

The whole thing happened less than a couple of miles from our house. Most all of the fluid leaked out all over our garage floor. He was driving home late at night, parked it in the garage, and never noticed. Obviously most of the fluid was still in the tranny the short ride home, as was evidenced by the huge amount on the garage floor...which greeted me when I got home around 2am that next morning coming back from the airport. Woke my son, he fessed up to the whole thing, but admitted he didn't realize he "hurt the car."

Anyway, a tow from AAA, a new cover, seal, pump, and refill and he was good as new the next day. We really need to get a good floor jack so we can do that work ourselves. Filling with the new fluid would have been a PITA, though.

The garage floor will never be the same. The 20 year plan is to clean it good and paint it, then throw down flecks.

Oh well. I can remember when I was 17.

Change your fluids...

TJR

Unintended tranny fludi change.

I bounced the battery out of the tray on a 74 Chevy Blazer hopping razorbacks at Pismo Dunes in California in 1990. Bounced or tore free, the shelf was dust and flakes and just sort of disintrgrated. The battery went down and took out a transmision cooler line. We heard the thud and the tranny started to slip. We made it out of the dunes and into a 76 station. The owner came out yelling at us. By the time we figured out why he was telling us to get out, there was a gallon of fluid all over the palce. He pointed to the trail leading in from the street. Hole Mole! Can you imagine the environmental pollution cleanup ticket I'd get today. Oil in the dunes? Hazmat.

Eekks!

Is Mercon V of for the power steering system instead of the Mercon ATF as noted in the manual? The ford dealer claims so.....

Latest posts