Change the AC Valve Core

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
My AC recently died, which in Houston weather is not much fun. I recharged it and it lasted about a week. I bought a little Freon sniffer to find the leak, and it said the leak was at the port I just charged it at. Well, the probably should be Freon there when I just charged it up, so I discounted that, but I didn't find any more leaks anywhere else. I bought a couple of cans of Freon with UV dye, and loaded it back up. The only place any Freon is leaking is at that stupid charging port. I can see it bubble out there, and the dye doesn't show up anywhere else. I bought a little valve core changer kit with a couple of new valve cores and caps, and the tool doesn't fit over the head of the valve core! How do I get this thing out of here? The new cap for the port doesn't fit either.

Haven't done this, so I don't know of it would work, but did you try a typical valve core tool?

[Broken External Image]:

AC ones are larger....

Todd Z

Yup. Tried that. The AC valve cores have a mushroom head that stops you from using a standard tool.

Todd Z is correct.

The Schraeder valves on R134 AC systems are larger than the valve cores in tires, and larger than the valves used on older Freon R22 systems. On the new R134 system, even the High and Low sides have different sized valve fittings so you don't hookup the gauges wrong, or try to charge through the wrong port.

Personally, if the vavle is the only leak, take it to an AC shop...They have the proper tools and if that is the only problem it should be a cheap fix. Of course you will have to vacuum pump the system down to remove any moisture that leaked in. Then recharge the system with refrigerant and the proper amount of compressor oil. If you don't have the proper equipment, you should leave that to the experts, or your cheap fix can be way more expensive in the long run.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin,

dreman said he already lost refrigerant through the leaking valve....so he needs to replace the leaking valve, repair any other leaks, and have the system vacuum pumped and recharged.

If the valve was not leaking, he would have no reason to change it... :banghead:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I've talked with the shop, and I've decided to bite the bullet, buy the gauges, vacuum pump, a new accumulator (which comes with a new valve core!), and a new orifice tube. I'll change the parts, evacuate the system, put in new oil and freon, and have a good working unit for less than the price the shop wants to pull down and recharge the system (parts and freon extra). And I'll have the gauges and vacuum pump for the next time I need them. After all, my other vehicle is a Dodge.

However, even though I know where the accumulator is, does anyone know where the orifice tube on the Sport Trac is? I'll probably be able to find it, but it's good to get a second opinion before breaking into the system.

It should be on the High pressure side, and inside the tube just before it goes into the firewall to the evaporator core. usually needle nose pliers can be used to remove it. The Orifice tube is what converts the refrigerant from a high pressure liquid to a low pressure gas/vapor that generates the cooling effect. The orifice tube is kind of like a spray can nozzle.....pressurized liquid is turned to a vapor as it comes out the nozzle. With refrigerant, it gets very cold as it expands from a high pressure liquid into a gas/vapor.

....Rich

Thanks,

I've changed them out before, but it's been a few years. AC systems have been more reliable, and I've been buying newer vehicles since I got married 17 years ago. Used to buy old clunkers and fix them up. Wife wasn't too keen on that idea.

Well, got everything changed out, pulled a vacuum on the system, and recharged it, but I have a question. The chart on the radiator support says 30 oz. of R134A Freon, but I put in three 12 oz. cans of Freon on top of the 3 oz. can of oil charge, and the pressures still look low to me. I expected to wind up with a partial can when the pressures came up, but it sucked all three down to zero and I could only get the low side up to maybe 5?C. I expected to get to 10-15?C. Is the chart low? Are the cans really filled with 12 oz. each? Are my new gauges off? It's cooling fine, but I want it to stay that way.

: Change the AC Valve Core by dremanMember Profile1 Member Project,8/6/2014 09:55 MT

I could only get the low side up to maybe 5?C. I expected to get to 10-15?C.

WHAT???

Is this some sort of pressure reading that I'm not familiar with?

My dad worked with AC systems from cars to houses to offices to skyscrapers. He taught me to look at the temperatures, and my new gauges have the temperature readings in the largest print. I had to get the gauges out to check, but 5 degrees C is about 37 psi. I neglected to remember the high side reading, but I remember it wasn't too high.

Latest posts