Center Console - "Snap"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardsale

Reaction score
It finally snapped.

Having difficulty determining what comes with the Ford part.

Ford has:

3L2Z-78644A22-AAG (armrest assy BASE SERIES, graphite), 6 in the diagram and

3L2Z-78047A20-AAG (armrest assy bracket BASE SERIES, graphite), 7 in the diagram

[Broken External Image]:

Notice the diagram implies that part 6 includes the bracket (7), but I'm pretty sure it does not. Also notice the diagram does not show the broken arm rest bottom piece. Is it included in either (from Ford)? Is there a site sponsor that may be able to answer?

What I see on eBay is the arm rest without the bottom and the bracket with the bottom, but not the arm rest with the bottom. I want to replace the arm rest because 1) it's old and has developed a divot, 2) the cup holder is a bit tweaked and 3) during the break, the two rearmost screw tabs broke.

Oh - removing the hinge pin - remove the plastic end cover (driver side) and drive it out toward that side or away from that side?

Cover and Hinge are TWO seperate peices.

I just replaced mine too. But my top part broke not the hinge. Go figure.... LOL

Bulletproof replacement if you don't mind losing the cup holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd - do you know what is included with the two separate pieces? The diagram does not show the broken part (image at bottom, minus the bracket), and my local dealer isn't familiar enough with this to know.

SWS - I saw that, but I'd rather keep the holder. I think I don't need bulletproof; the original lasted 13+ years, if the replacement lasts five, that's good for me.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the arm rest and the bottom piece (that connects to it and the bracket; in the image) and I would remove and replace the hinge pin. Of course, I need to know which way to drive out the pin.

[Broken External Image]:

Bought one of these for $50 from Monster Auto Parts before they were discontinued. Retains the cup holders.

Ordered the complete OEM arm rest (bracket to arm rest; 6 in the above diagram) through a friend who runs a body shop for $100.00. Not what I was looking for, but all new and only four bolts.

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips.

I'm a little weird, and a little cheap. I took the whole thing apart and braced it internally with a 1x4. It took a little thought, and some trimming of the plastic, but two pieces of 1x4 - one long and one short, worked to span the cracked part. I screwed it back together and it's worked great ever since. I did lose the cup holder, but it was too lightweight for rambunctious kids, and it's been gone for awhile anyway. Mine cost about two hours time.

So, as it turned-out, the complete armrest and base cannot be ordered as one part (#6 in the above diagram). This revelation took about two weeks of back-and-forth with the brain-trusts at several Ford dealer parts departments. After all, I got the arm rest for $100.00 and the base for $65.00.

Beyond the ordering mess, I do have one criticism: The U-Type Speed Nuts on the replacement have a larger diameter hole and the screws spun in them with little torque. I transferred the nuts from the old armrest to the new and this worked.

[Broken External Image]:

Also, leftovers in <a href="http://mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=SWAP&VIEW=1345081" target="_blank">Swap & Sell.</a>

Latest posts