CEL again???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Tarr

Reaction score
Hi everyone. The CEL light has decided to visit again. i thought i had it beat after changing the T-stat problem but, after checking all the hoses and finding one un attatched. I put it back where it went and all was well for 600 some miles. Now (and it's happened twice)at an extended time at idle the CEL comes on. I erased it and tried it again......again after letting it idle for about 15 minutes(wife was in the store while I listened to the football game) it came on again. It doesen't come on at driving speed. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim:banghead:

^ Good question. Probably the p0171/174 from the previous post linked below. OP, did you physically check the PCV elbow?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and thanks. I forgot to include the codes....duh!! I know better too. Lean banks, PO171/174. Usually a vacuum leak right? I erased the codes to see if I could establish a pattern. I realize that won't solve anything except showing me that the same thing is happening. .....Jim

Common vacuum elbow leak.

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. I think I have one of those pipe and elbow assemblies hanging in the garage.

Why only after an extended idle period though. I'm curious.....Jim

There's a lot of YouTube videos on lean codes. The one I've attached is by a former Ford technician who has some excellent advice.

Latest posts