CD Changer Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My stock CD changer on my 2003 Sport Trac is done I think. I have had the probelms of CD's getting stuck every once, but it usually only happend when a disc had some kind film or picutre on it.

Anyway now, I have 5 CD's stuck in the unit, I have tried everything to get them out, it doesn't even sound like it's trying to switch from disc to disc, I just get "CD ERROR" anytime I do anything with the player.

Questions:

1. How do I get the player out of the truck

2. Any idea what it costs to replace or what the part number is for it...I guess I'll figure that out if I remove it.

Thanks

Are they "burnt" cds? If they are, do they have those disk labels on them? Those are the ones mine had problems with. I quit printing the labels and putting them on there and haven't had any problem since. I'm not sure what you can do to get them out but hopefully someone else will be able to help you out.;)

Pull BOTH fuses and the radio will reset. Both must be pulled for the reset to work. Once it is reset you will more than likely have the controls back.

Fairly common..

That's happened to me a few times on my '01. Usually after I get the error message I'll turn the ST off then back on. Then when I restart, the CD usually comes out right away, or after a few minutes. Mine have all been burnt CD's, but no labels, only hand written with a marker.

i had the same problem for a while as well. mine that got stuck were all store bought cds. the final time that they got stuck they were in there for 2 days with no avail on getting them out. i went over to circuit city bought a new stereo, took apart the stock one, got my cd's out and smashed it with a hammer. unfortunately after having the new unit installed the controls in the backseat and the subwoofer ceased to work. the guy at circuit city said i need a special part to make them work and they don't sell it or knows where to get it. he said the same thing happens to chryslers/dodges with the steering wheel controls, they also need a special part. not to hijack your post but if anyone knows about this part, where to get it, how to install or the such please let me know. thanks. good luck with that cd player.

i had the same problem for a while as well. mine that got stuck were all store bought cds. the final time that they got stuck they were in there for 2 days with no avail on getting them out. i went over to circuit city bought a new stereo, took apart the stock one, got my cd's out and smashed it with a hammer. unfortunately after having the new unit installed the controls in the backseat and the subwoofer ceased to work. the guy at circuit city said i need a special part to make them work and they don't sell it or knows where to get it. he said the same thing happens to chryslers/dodges with the steering wheel controls, they also need a special part. not to hijack your post but if anyone knows about this part, where to get it, how to install or the such please let me know. thanks. good luck with that cd player.

Carlos, I've had a similar situation--in my case, the CD loading door was open, and I could see one of them in there. There was a CD visible inside the door--when I pushed it further in with a credit card, the system started working again. I don't know why--the best theory I have is that the CD had jammed while trying to eject it, and gave the error at that time; pushing the CD back in cleared the jam.

Good luck!

My problem was the same as Bill V's. I used to slide my driver license on one side of the cd and then hit the eject button. It added pressure on the transport drive an dejected the disc.

Removing the head unit is super easy. Two screws on the bottom side of the grey trim panel just above the climate controls. Then gently pull the entire grey panel and unplug the electrical connections. Then just remove the HU from the panel.

anybody know which 2 fuses it is that you have to pull??? i dont have a maual with my truck and need to try this on mine?!?!?!

I have also had that problem where the cd gets stuck while i was trying to eject it. I have an '01 and that problem has occured a couple of times. Now my cd player doesnt even work :( Whenever i put a cd in (burnt or normal cd) the track number will show up, but the time will just stay at 00:00. So what i have been using is my ipod connected with a F.M. modulator. Is there any way to fix this or will i have to completely replace my deck?