Catch me riding dirty...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
Okay, this is not rockcrawling. And, it is not mudding, unless you count ruts a few inches deep. When I had the old Explorer, I'd often take it to where my folks' own land adjacent to a PA State Park. To get there, you need to climb about 1500 feet from the base of a mountain to the top (the land is at the end of the road). The roads are old logging roads from the 1880's to the 1940's. At the top, my GPS showed me to be about 2300 feet ASL. The roads are about 6 miles, and have numerous switchbacks and are mostly single pass. If another vehicle comes down, you need to back to a switchback or pull onto the side of the mountain where possible.

I never took the Trac there, as I did not want to scratch it, etc. Well, after getting the Bridgestone Duelers and Rancho shocks, the old off-road bug bit me and I took the Trac to get some trail pinstriping. And, after living outside of Philadelphia for the last eight months, I needed this--getting away from civilization.

The Trac performed well, as it should. The tires rubbed when descending the roads, but that is expected with the body dipping forward. The Trac was not scratched too much, but there are enough to keep the detailer busy before Long Island. And, dang it, I think the mud stained the Duelers. :D But, it's a good stain--put me into the low percentage of folks who actually take an SUV off a paved road.

[Broken External Image]:

A smooth switchback between mountains (no need to discuss what is and is not a mountain, Caymen... :)). Behind me is a relatively steep pass-by road that leads to another's private land.

[Broken External Image]:

2300 feet up. The roads, as I mentioned, are wide enough only for one vehicle. At the top, it is smooth. To the right is our land and tiny hunting cabin. But, no one in the immediate family hunts anymore, and the cabin for all purposes is abandoned.

[Broken External Image]:

Beginning the descent before it gets steep. The drop-off on the sides is very steep. If you go off the edge, you better pray for a tree to stop you before you hit the road below (after it switches back).

[Broken External Image]:

A little lower, but looking across the valley to an adjacent mountain. The other mountain is about 2500 feet high.

[Broken External Image]:

Same smooth switchback as the first photo. I'd have taken some of the more rough areas, but I really prefer to keep both hands on the wheel. :D

[Broken External Image]:

Same as above, only showing the private road climbing back up. Most of the roads have sections this steep, and as a result, I used 4 low + 1st gear coming back down.

Let the "that's not off-roading" discussion begin. :)

Maybe not 'off roading', but definately 'trail running'... and fun!!! About the same as the roads I take to get up above Tahoe.

[Broken External Image]:

Looked like a nice place to kill a few hours !!!!

Todd Z

Wow looks like a great area. Really makes me want to get back to PA for some more waterfall hunting. Thats my kind of place. If I had a secluded cabin like that (well I do have a small camp on a lake) no way I would let it get rundown, even I you just went there to get away from it a couple times a year it would be worth it. Makes me kind of sad to thik of that poor abandoned cabin but I do understand that peopel can lose interest in these type of things or more likely in today's busy world just not have the time for it. Those roads are similar to a lot of the roads I go on here except with a bit more eleveation change there. We need to come up with a good name to describe this type of driving as I do it all the time. I often say I've been out riding the woods roads. It isn't off roading as many would define it but it certainly isn't a regular drive as you are bound to encounter wash outs, mud, ruts, downed tress etc. Any suggestions....how about "back roading" or "woods driving".

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the next NY/NJ/CT/MA/PA meet should be right where those pics were taken! Awesome Adam, looks like a great place to get away to.

even better on a couple atv's

Actually, these folks anger me more than any. The road has a gate at its access point, and ATV's routinely go through the forest or break the chain. Forests being what they are, it is impossible to prevent their access. They don't pay any dues, yet rip apart roads and ride off trails, making a mess of the forest in places. PA has a large problem with unregistered ATVs riding where they should not. If anything, I'd give them the old pole out the window to knock them to the ground.

I'm not a jerk--I just don't like folks who misuse and abuse. Any respectful rider is a friend of mine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam, being in Pa, I know what you mean about the ATV riders. We had a few kids that lived in the local area of where me and my family hunt, decide to make trails through our hunting area. They tore it up pretty bad. We started (along with the land owner) setting up watches of the area. We found out which kids were doing it and were able to get them to stay out of the area. (not all of it was legal, but it worked.) We don't have problems with the ones that like to "trail ride" and are respectful to the land, it's the ones that think they are in the Supercross racing curcuit that we have problems with. Took us two years of trying to keep a watchful eye on the area and doing some "extra" measures to keep them out, but it was worth it. The ones that ride there now, actually call for permission to ride there and know that as long as they treat the area with respect, they are more than welcome to ride there. It's a very small town near the area, so the kids are pretty good. They just needed some help with thier control.;)

Latest posts