Catastrophic Failure of the power Steering Pump...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
UGHHH... i guess after 242,000+ miles i shouldnt ccomplain. but on the way home i had catastrophic failure of the power steering pump on the sport trac. also alot of antifreeze came out from some where. i do not know where from yet though. dont see any leaks or cracks. but question is how hard is to replace the power steering pump itself??

Been along time since i have been on here..

Paul

no not a broken trans cooler line. the belt skipped off, (pump had the bearing blow apart and pulley is now hanging) i believe the anti freeze blew out of the resevoir...i hope..

Thanks for the video Vic, wrong motor though, power steering pump is in different location. that is the Gen 1 Job 1 motor.

will post pics once i get them in a bit...

Paul H

If you are going to get a replacement steering pump, I would suggest you get the one for the Explorer.

There was a common issue of hard steering and loud squealing in "cold region Sport Tracs"...

Ford's fix to this was to replace the pump with the same year Explorer as it creates a bit more pressure which eliminated slow speed steering issues (Parking lot type driving) as well as eliminated the squealing concern..

TSB's shown in "Steering/Suspension" category. GL

ok...replaced power steering pump, belt and the leak was from the lower thermostat housing...just got done with replacing all that, truck started right up, idled beautifully, got to operating temp no problem took her for a test drive.....got a BAD sputter...ugh...and check engine codes with a flashing check engine....

Paul H

Clad to hear and help !!!

ok, plugs and wires today!! yay fun....lol!!!

Also YES a HUGE thank you to Todd Z for once again helping me through yet another problem with the trac...Frankenstein may live once again...

ok so plugs are done!! very easy to do, only plug that gave me a hard time was the middle passenger side one. everything else was good. plugs were shot and the wires were toasted!!

Paul H

Latest posts