Cash for Clunkers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a dealer in Columbia this past weekend that has an actual crushing machine in their parking lot. Rumor has it you get to watch YOUR car get flattened.... Now I think that is cool....:banana:

The dealers are required to drain the oil out of the cars and use a chemical that will immediately sieze the engine if turned on. They can salvage some parts of the car, but the majority of the car will be scrapped.

Does anybody know what happens to the cars that are traded in as "clunkers?" Are they auctioned, sold, or meet the crusher??

A picture is worth a thousand words!

[Broken External Image]:

Not suspended, just almost out of money. Suspension was considered, but now they are looking for additional funding. Apparently it's a lot more popular than they thought it would be!

This whole thing was a stupid idea, IMHO.

I was one of the first that said the govt should simply give $5k to anyone who wanted to buy a new car. But that was the whole, complete, detailed plan. Any new American car, any legal American = $5k.

Such a plan would be simple and relatively low cost to run.

The clunkers plan has got to be costly, for both the govt and the dealers. And it takes cars that might otherwise be of value and make them valueless. Bad ideas.

TJR