Cars With Highest Risk of Driver Fatalities.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Not a single Ford on the list. Alot of these don't surprise me.

Driver deaths per million registered vehicle years

Car models 2001-2004 | Fatalities during 2002-2005

No. 1 Risk: Chevrolet Blazer

Driver deaths rate: 232 | Exposure: 160,222

No. 2 Risk: Acura RSX

Driver deaths rate: 202 | Exposure: 192,774

No. 3 Risk: Nissan 350Z

Driver deaths rate: 193 | Exposure: 100,245

No. 4 Risk: Kia Spectra Hatchback

Driver deaths rate: 191 | Exposure: 161,528

No. 5 Risk: Pontiac Sunfire

Driver deaths rate: 179 | Exposure: 409,405

No. 6 Risk: Kia Rio

Driver deaths rate: 175 | Exposure: 438,916

No. 7 Risk: Chevrolet Cavalier

Driver deaths rate: 171 | Exposure: 914,589

No. 8 Risk: Mitsubishi Eclipse

Driver deaths rate: 169 | Exposure: 434,810

No. 9 Risk: Dodge Neon

Driver deaths rate: 161 | Exposure: 1,067,248

No. 10 Risk: Pontiac Grand Am

Driver deaths rate: 160 | Exposure: 317,350

HOWEVER there is a Ford on this list.

Driver Fatalities for Popular Cars

Driver deaths per million registered vehicle years

Car models 2001-2004 | Fatalities during 2002-2005

Ford Explorer

Driver deaths rate: 57 | Exposure: 688,495

Last edited by a moderator:
57 deaths in 600,000 exposure.... .95%

Blazer 232 deaths in only 160K exposure.... 14.5%

Look at the dodge neon !!!....

I think my chances are dam good in an explorer.....

Of course these statistics are way after the Pinto and Explorer problems of the past. Doesn't mean Ford hasn't built bad vehicles but hopefully Ford is now paying more attention to our safety.

Exception: We all know that if you hook a Uhaul trailer to your Explorer, the odds of surviving the trip are less than 1 in 10.

At least, that's the way it comes out on a spreadsheet at Uhaul corporate headquarters.

Hmmmm, That sounds more like the Uhaul trailers are the cause of more deaths that the towing vehicles? Maybe we should use Uhauls statistics to show that there trailers are unsafe? :wacko:

...Rich

I got so pissed at Uhaul one day. I went to rent a 5x8 trailer with my '99 Exploder. It was FAR from stock. Hellwig helper springs, Perma-Cool tranny filter and cooler with fan, Load Range D tires, etc. They told me that my vehicle wasn't "towing capable."

I built it for towing.

Here's the link with the rest of it, but remember this is just raw data, for example the Acura RSX scores poorly yet Acuras in general perform well in crash tests, the RSX has a lot of fatalities in single car accidents, this could be more due to the way the cars are being driven than the cars themselves. This data is only about fatality rates.

So Geoff,

Are you saying only idiots buy Acura RSX's?

I could have told you that without looking at those statistics.

Tom

Yes they are like that here too, but then again it could also have something to do with the car. The craziest drivers around here are in Volkswagon GTI s, which don't seem to do as badly, but the 4 door Golf has far fewer single car fatalities than the 2 door model which includes the GTI group.

I should have mentioned, pages 2 and 3 should be displayed side by side as there is a table that spans both of them.

If you look at precentages, vehicles like the 350Z is a death trap compared to the Blazer. I would be willing to bet if you took the 2nd gen Explorer, even with the firestone tires, it was a safer vehicle than the 350Z is.

To put it in perspective, the Blazer even had a 1 star rollover rating.

Tom

Hmmm.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

Ironic, considering yesterday was the 25th "anniversary" since Gilles Villeneuve died behind the wheel of his car.

Brand loyalty is great, but when it become blind...it hurts. I'm nearly convinced "brand loyalists" are in fact killing the very brand they hold greater then family, friends, and community.

tom, is it the vehicle or the driver ?

i am very secure knowing my wife is driving her 350z with side & head airbags.

you dig way to deep into this domestic / import " thing ". just accept it and move on !

[Broken External Image]:

It looks to me like you're more likely to roll over in an explorer then a blazer but if the blazer rolls you're more likely to die. Now what about passenger death rates.