cargo cage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike goering

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to remove the cage. The CD Rom that came with my 2003 explains it but I don't see the "clips" to pull to get it fully out. I can swing it both ways and lock it with the round knobs - can anyone here explain this or post a picture?? thanks. I live in Scottsdale AZ.

First, the Bed Extender ('the cage'), must be rotated to be resting on the tailgate.

In this position, the clip that need to be actuated will be below the pivot pin.

Assuming the 'lock' screws have not been screwed in to prevent movement (' the lock position), the tabs on the clips must be moved towards the middle of the bed (they will be under spring tension).

While holding the spring clips under tension, lift the extender off the pivot pin. Each side is done separately.

Sorry but I don't have any pictures handy. I hope my explanation will be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the picture, within the blue circled area is the spring clip. The tabs are just below the center bar; one on each side. Pull both on a side with a finger and thumb and lift the extender.

thx guys. i'll take another try. The "clip" I see simply does not want to move. If there are lock screws I don't know which ones. there are several screws up and down the vertical where the pins are. I need to move a piece of furniture tomorrow, if I can't get the cage out i'll have to rent a truck or trailer.

Immediately opposite the clip is a Phillips head screw (it's to the right of the left arrow in the second picture of the linked project).

It's not a sophisticated "lock" - the screw moves a square block that keeps the clip from moving (counter-clockwise to lock, clockwise to unlock; they should turn easily).

Last edited by a moderator: