Cargo bed alignment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hudson 3

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2002 Sport Trac with a cargo bed that has always looked off-center. Today I measured the distance from the driver's side hub cap to the outside fender flare at 2" and the passenger's side at 3". It's never caused a problem, it just looks a little strange - the passenger side wheel is noticeably tucked into its wheel well compared to the driver's side. I would like to know if it is possible to center the bed between these two dimensions. I loosened the torx bolts to try shifting the bed, but could not see any change and wanted to ask for advice before trying anything like widening the bed bolt holes to allow for adjustment.

I want to put wheel spacers on it to better fill the rear wheel wells, but would like to center the bed so I have two identical spacers if possible. I'm not sure that putting different size spacers on is a good idea (not sure if anyone sells them except in pairs or full sets anyway).

John

Did you use this project? As with the body mounts, TOO much factory Loctite and you shouldn't use heat on the plastic bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange, my axle center is offset to the RIGHT at least one inch. :banghead:

Thanks for the reply. No, I didn't see that post until your reply, but that is what I tried this afternoon. I got the torx bolts very loose, but the bed doesn't shift much at all. I suppose leaving the driver's side as it and putting a 1" spacer on the passenger side would even things up fine without having to try to loosen and reposition the entire rear end. Just seems very strange to have to do that to properly line up a vehicle that has never been wrecked or anything.

Again, thank you for the reply,

John

Here's another thread John. Like the drivers side lean, it's usually only the owner that notices it. GL

I aligned mine and it is still off a bit, but I don't let it bother me and I'm pretty sure nobody else notices.

I would not recommend spacers at all, and certainly not different widths or only on one side. You'd be trading handling characteristics for cosmetics.

Also check the alignment of the bed to the cab and that the bed is square (it's probably not). IF the bed is not square, you may find some adjustment there.

My bed is ok, but. The front is not. When I look down from the top of front fenders. I see more of the top of the tire on the right hand side.........All my wheels are the same. 18x8.5 @ 0 offset..???

Never wrecked the front. the lady that side swiped me. Got the door and valance trim.

Eddie, Camber adjustment? Torsion bar lean?

Todd Z

Did you remove your bed cover if you have one and your tailgate so the box is lighter and easier to move around and lift it up a bit to make sure it isnt stuck on the frame? :driving: