Carfax odometer rollback.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Forbes

Reaction score
So I was looking at getting a Ford Escape recently and came across a car-fax that I found odd. I' am thinking its a clerical error but cant be totally sure. What do you guys think? The reason I think its a clerical error is because the dealership put the mileage down at 38,339, and then the owner titled it as 33,026. Thoughts?

Vehicle info: 2009 Ford Escape XLT AWD 52,000 miles

Moon roof, sync, tow package, cloth interior.

Price asking: $14,700

2009 FORD ESCAPE XLT

VIN: 1FMCU93G39KB10634

CARFAX Detailed History

Owner 1

Purchased: 2009

Personal lease vehicle

11,242 mi./yr

Mileage: Source: Comments:

12/4/08 NICB Vehicle manufactured

and shipped to original dealer

5/7/09

495 mi. Michigan

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Waterford, MI

Title #130X1270062 Title or registration issued

First owner reported

Titled or registered as personal lease vehicle

4/7/10 Michigan

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Waterford, MI

4/22/11 Michigan

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Waterford, MI

4/13/12

33,018 mi. Dealer Inventory

Farmington, MI Vehicle offered for sale

4/14/12 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

8/31/12

38,339 mi. Bob Maxey Auto Family

Maintenance inspection completed

Brakes checked

Tire condition and pressure checked

Battery/charging system checked

Drivability/performance checked

Owner 2

Purchased: 2013

Personal vehicle

Mileage: Source: Comments:

5/13/13

33,026 mi. Michigan

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Howell, MI

Title #120B1330275 Registration issued or renewed

Title or registration issued

New owner reported

MILEAGE INCONSISTENCY

? The mileage reported here conflicts with this vehicle's odometer history. Ask a mechanic or the seller to confirm the actual mileage - this entry may just be a clerical error.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the actual mileage on the vehicle's odometer??? That would be helpful in figuring out if it was a clerical error, or if someone is trying to deceive the next buyer.

I don't think that 5000 miles is going to make that much of a difference on a 5-6 year old vehicle, and it makes no sense for the dealer to state a higher mileage? But look up the price difference on several web sites and take that price difference into consideration.

...Rich

I did a bunch of digging and it's looking like the dealor messed up on their end and reissued the title with the original mileage that the current owner bought it for. The current owner said he dealorship is working to correct the issue with the Secretary of State. So I'm waiting on the go ahead from the dealership and should be getting supporting documents to prove the mix up. It's current mileage is 52,000. Hoping it all works out!

Now I would be worried as to why the title had to be reissued....Is it because the mileage was stated wrong, or because the vehicle was Salvaged ? And don't be foolish enough to think that CarFax knows everything about every vehicle....they don't.

...Rich

don't be foolish enough to think that CarFax knows everything about every vehicle....they don't.

Very true. They only know what got reported. There are alot of flood cars that didnt get reported. They werent an insurance loss, and had clear titles. So the cleanup buyers cut the red tape and ship them to other parts of the country. They have ways of buying without salvage titles.

I often wonder what became of our flood loss '01 escape. Im sure USAA repeorted it. I also know it could have been fixed. It was top of the line in excellent condition. Just water-loged.

Eddie,

CarFax only knows details about a vehicles history if it was repaired at one of the shops that has an agreement with CarFax to report information.

CarFax has agreements with some Insurance Companies, some Body Shops, etc. But not all, so a lot can fall through the cracks. As a customer of any repair shop, you have the right to not have your vehicle information reported to anyone...not even your insurance company.

CarFax has been sued many times for their deceptive commercials that imply that they know everything about every vehicle, when that is not true. They have now changed their commercials to add a statement that "They don't always know everything about every vehicle, but that getting a CarFax report is a good place to start".

...Rich

Latest posts