Can't get my Tonneau Cover open.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Niederhauser

Reaction score
On my 08. I saw one of my Tie ups was caught in the lock release on the left hand side. I got the tie down out, but now the cover will not open. Seens the catch on the left side will not move. I see nothing in it... Any ideas. :cry:

You can do it with a screwdriver from inside the bed, There you can see where the cable moves the lock.

Sounds like it is either jammed or the cable broke or stretched.

Todd Z

OK Used a screw drive to push on the silver part on the catch and go it movedand opened.. I see the cable movinb and the bar connected to it moving, but still won't release the catch.

Don't know if there is any adjustment...... I dont have my Gen 2 here right now...If so try that... IF not something got bent or the cable stretched...

Todd Z

If the gen2 tonneau covers are like the gen1 tonneau covers, the problem is likely in the cable pull mechanism attached to the bottom of the lock cylinder.

The gen1 covers had a very flimsy plastic hook about as thick as a fingernail. If the tip of that hook chipped off it would no longer pull on the cables to release the latches.

The deceptive part is that once you open the cover, the latch is released, and there is not resistants on the cables. The hook can easily pull the cables and move the latch release.

If you push the latch closed while the tonneau cover is opened and then try to use your key, you will probably see that the cables are not moving the latch release lever.

That's how I determined that the cable pull mechanism attached to the bottom of the lock cylinder was the problem. When I disassembled it to see what was wrong, I found the cheap little plastic hook with about 1/16" of the tip broken off and could not fully engage the barrel that turns to pull on the cables.

....Rich

I replaced the whole system with my own electric locking system (EZLok) that I invented and sold back about 6-7 years ago through my LeverLift company.

It's not a big thing to replace the cable assembly which comes with the new mechanism that attaches to the bottom of the lock cylinder. I think the complete cable assembly cost about $60. Check with one of our site sponsors who can probably get you one at the lowest price.

...Rich

OK I can see on the left hand side the cable as a ball on the end if and this came out of the latch release. To remove the latch catch I need to odd look screw driver. Any know where I can get one...

Latest posts