Canadian Money :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I'll be spending some time driving the ST in "America's Attic" in the near future, so I got some Canadian money for it.

AAA is giving out 112 Canadian dollars for 132 American Dollars. :cry:

That's Brutal...I grew up with the Canadian dollar being monopoly money, and now it's actually worth something. I'm at a loss without Canadian money jokes :boohoo:

This just makes the 12 dollar movie theatres and 4 dollar 16.9 OZ bottles of coke that are staples of Canada that much worse.

On the other hand, hotels and booze are still cheaper :banana:

:soap:

I'm thinking AAA has a hefty currency exchange fee. The current exchange rate is 1 CAD = 0.945 USD. So you should get about $1.05 CAD for each USD.

I can get Canadian money at my local bank and they don't have a surcharge or fee for it. :supercool:

I'm sure they're making a profit on it, they're in business to do that.

They run through TravelEx, which is everywhere and generally seems to be a ripoff IMO. Though the AAA office is a mile from my work (and thus 6 miles from my house), whereas the closest TravelEx is in DC.

Also, none of my banks will just give me Canuck rainbow money, unless I go to a central bank in the bowels of Baltimore...where an exchange fee will be charged.

BTW, even though Bank of America is linked to ScotiaBank, last time I used one of their ATMs, I was still charged fees. Rigum Frigum Fragum Ragum...

I'll pay for convenience...and the fees are still less than the metro fare &/or parking in the city.

Sadly, last August, even hotels in Toronto were giving 1.05 Canuck for 1.00 USD.

Funny how the tables have turned :(

Edit: Mark K, that's because MN is in Canada... :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
KL,

Where are you going to be visiting? We should grab a beer (or 12) if you are in the SW Ontario area.

And as for MN, you guys can bloody well keep it.

lol, I'm sure there's something to do in MN, but I didn't see it when I was there.

Sadly, I don't think we're going to go any further south than Ottawa. Originally my little ST roadtrip was going to go back into MI, which would let me revisit Toronto & finally see the rest of SW Ontario, but then I found out that the Lake Michigan ferry (Muskegon to Milwaukee) costs a ridiculous amount of $...and that the ST would require "special accommodations" as she is over 18' long. :angry:

I dunno why, but I like car ferries...but not enough to pay over 300 dollars for a ride.

It makes more sense as "America's Attic" or "America's Hat".

...though I was lumping in Canada with America, that America was the land mass, not the country, but the signs on Toronto Island, Toronto ON showed me wrong there ;)

Latest posts