Buyers advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan on being in a position to buy a truck by the end of the summer. I pretty much have my heart set on a 08-10 Sport Trac, a very under-rated truck in my opinion. I've even got the Mrs on board with the idea!

However, being an uncommon truck, I don't know anyone who owns one so I don't have any clue about the common failings or part swap compatibility of this model. For example, over the years I have learned certain "institutional knowledge":

1) Windsor 80's era 302's tend to leak at the rear main seal, especially when parked for a while.

2) Cavaliers rust at the edges, Neons rust at the firewall.

3) late 80's Chrysler small cars had major paint issues because of the change over to low VOC paints.

You get the idea anyway. What I'm hoping for is that sort of thing for the later Sport Trac specifically. Is there a spot prone to rust not easily seen from the curb? Is any of the common replaceable parts (alternator, starter, bulbs etc) unique to the Sport Trac? Basically, what would you know to look for if you were on the dealers lot?

Thanks for any info you can give me

As far as consumable spares go, there's nothing unique about the Sport Trac; everything's readily available. I've owned two Gen2s and think the build quality is very good. Seeing that you're in Canada however makes rust and corrosion a real concern. That road salt is going to find its way everywhere. If you find a candidate car up there a good pre-purchase inspection would be in order methinks.

I can say I've owned a Gen 1 (2001) and now a Gen 2 2008 Adrenalin they are the best trucks I have ever owned. Better than any car too. I love the Sport Trac. There is no comparison still to this day. I highly recommend the Gen 2 as Ford made so many improvements. I've had mine from release in 2008 and have had no premature failures. I had a warranty claim on the serpentine belt which kept squeeling. I had to have the front doors seals replaced as there was a known issue with the early release. Other than that it's a great truck.

Get as new of a Trac as you can afford. I had an '03 Adrenalin 4x4, an '07 Limited 4x4 and now have an '10 Limited 4x4. Ford made improvements every year- some are minor, but my '10 Trac is so much better built and materials than the '07 was, and they are the same series. Also, get a V-8 if possible. There is only a 1 MPG penalty over the V-6, but more power, smoother, and that V8 sound! Nothing wrong with the V-6, just that the V8 is better.

After '08/'09, I can't think of much of anything problematic. Ford worked out the bugs pretty well by then. Be sure to ask about maintenance history, as prior treatment probably has more to do with how good the tracs are by then.

Oh, a common problem area if you use your bed for hauling is the tailgate top trim breaks loose easily. It takes about 30 minute to replace half a dozen plastic push pins that shear off. Also, the headlight switch dash light burns out about every 18 months. I had my headlight switch changed under warranty 3 times. After it is out of warranty I just ignore it.

Good luck and keep us posted. Let us know if you have specific questions about the Tracs you are considering.

I drive a first gen, and like older jeeps, older means more robust off road and for work (except towing, v8 has me on that). like stated above, parts are everywhere. Great trucks, 200k strong, thousand miles a week lately. the 4.0 keeps trucking for a long long time.:toilet::toilet::toilet:

Thanks for the input guys!

heywardjr : I'm looking at an 08 to '10 model, either the adrenalin model or the higher trim grade as a leather interior and heated seats is kind of a "must have". So I'm glad to hear the door trim issue got fixed. Belt noise I can handle, recurrent problems with the pulley bearing(s) is another kettle of fish you know?

Gavin : Thanks, this exactly the kind of common issue info I was looking for! Both issues, should they arise, are the kind of thing I would want to go out to the wreckers, pluck a part and fix myself as soon as possible in the drive way. Which leads me to the other half of my common info question. Are those plastic pins used in any other Ford vehicle? I'm in a small town, the available wreckers around here probably won't have a sport trac, but will have Rangers, Explorers and F150's. I'm guessing that if there is a Ranger trim grade that has trim on the tailgate, that will use the same pins. Though, if it is a common issue, I'd probably be just as far ahead to replace the pins with trim and molding adhesive.

The switch itself might be unique to Sport Tracs, but I know the bulb would be one of the (four?) standard bulbs Ford uses for Dash and instrument clusters, so that's no biggie.

To all: In general, my intent is to focus on getting one with the leather interior, sunroof and assorted goodies, as new as possible while staying under 20K Canadian. I've been searching online, and as long as I'm willing to drive for an hour or two, I can find numerous examples of 2009 models at 18K or less. I hope, with a little luck, to be able to score a 2010 model. I don't really expect to find anything on a lot that has deal killer problems, my concern is how able I will be able to maintain it after I get it home. I prefer to do as much of the routine maintenance and minor repairs in my driveway, but I suffer from a chronic pain and fatigue condition. So while I am skilled enough to do say a transfer case swap, or swap out a gas tank that rusts where the filler neck joins, most of the time I am simply not physically capable of doing even a simple brake job. As a result, if there are known issues with say the transfer case or gas tank filler necks on Sport Tracs, I need to be able to expect it and prepare for it.

@Barbarian - You will be very happy with the Sport Trac. it's awesome. I have never kept trucks as long as these. They just kick ass and are easy to work on and customize. I've added all kinds of things like HID headlights and fog lights, replaced the exhaust with Magnaflow and the sound is great (my 4.0 V6 sounds like a V8 now and is like a brand new drive with lots more power), red painted brake calipers, plus LED lights interior, LED lights in the center hub of the wheels which light up and illuminate my wheels at night, high end speeding ticket protection (we won;t say what that is), chip from Tory to replace the Ford programming and provide lots more performance, and replaced the standard radio in the Adrenalin with a 7" touch screen Kenwood, and more! The truck is just awesome....did I say that enough? :) You will be happy...trust me......snag one before they disappear.

no u-Hall rentals if that is an issue. Bad gas milage . Requires a better muffler ( Magnaflow makes a good one ) heavy truck . Looks good , nice to drive . Exhaust manifold bolts ,

If I were to do it again F150 .