Burn outs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Geist

Reaction score
I'm in need of a new set of tires and want to light em up before I get the new ones (I have never done this in my ST before). This may sound uneducated (or stupid; I know...there are no stupid questions) but how do you do a burnout with an automatic vehicle. I'm assuming it's just a brake/gas ratio but give me some tips. When I was younger and yes, stupider (more stupid) I used to do the neutral slam. Knowing a little bit more about cars now, I know that wasn't the brightest of ideas. Tell me how it's done. I'm looking forward to taking them into the shop with a smell of burnt rubber. Ohhhh yeahhhh!!!

Get hard on the brakes, and give it some gas, then let up, and get back on, let up, and get back on. The front brakes will hold while the rear tires break loose.

so...if I hit the brakes hard and gave it gas and just did this...I could smoke my tires in place? Of course, making sure my RPMs don't go into the red. Oh, and other than tire wear damage...is there anything else that is at risk with doing this. This will be a one time thing (yeah right...I'll have to do it a couple of times just to get the practice)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't burn them completely through and blow one out! Then you'll have pieces of tire flying everywhere. My uncle did that once and the exploding tread took out his inner fender well!

Well, you could brake something in the drive train, put extra wear on your brakes and other stuff...

The ST also loves to swing the back to the right if you have a posi rearend...

IF a one wheel pealer then it will not slide....

Then there is the cleaning the rubber off the cladding and bumper...

There are a whole lot of Negatives of doing this, The positive is a cool Smokey burnout !!!!

Todd Z

I usually pump the brakes before I do it. Turns the ABS off. Your ABS light will come on until you shut the truck off and start it again. When you start off, ease into the gas until you feel it break loose. When it breaks loose, watch the tach and up the RPMs. When you're good and ready, let go of the brake and mash the gas. And just pay attention to make sure the rear doesn't try to kick out on you.

[Broken External Image]:

Heres a small burnout I did at L'ville. Nothing too amazing. I didnt want to ruin 250$ tires lol.

Edit: Forgot to put the link.

Make sure someone videos it .....