Brown wire Gen 2 anyone done this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsiegel

Reaction score
I've googled it but it's not clear to me if anyone has done this to the model, year I have.

I am not even sure what I have. My truck is in 2WD until the computer feels the need to go 4WD.

is that called 2x4.

Then I have the usual dash buttons to manually switch into 4WD or Auto or 4W Low.

2007 v8

Where is the easiest place to access the correct wire?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
you have LOW already on the dash, NO need to do Brown wore mod..... that was to give you Low on the explorer t-case that only had 4wd and AWD....

Unless you have an adrenalin and want to get LOW, But there is really no need for this.

Todd Z

I thought there was a way to interrupt/switch the power to the transfer case so that I could hold back the system from automatically switching into 4wd every time there's a little slip light around turns from a stop a bump that triggers it now. Basically using it like a master switch.

I have the same question. It is reference to AWD models. The Brown wire mod is the act of cutting this wire and putting a toggle switch inline to deactivate the transfer case from switching.

The damn thing goes into AWD when you hit a bump or take a sharp turn "briskly" from a dead stop. Pain in the butt when you are getting on the freeway, etc.

Will the brown wire mod screw up the computer? Has anyone done this on an AWD Trac?

I Installed a Relay in the fuse panel to eliminate the Module from working and switched it on the dash.....

Its great for shutting off the traction control and doing burnouts.... LOL

Todd Z

do you only shut it off to do burnouts or are you leave it off all the time except for when you want 4wD?

I think both Chr$ and I are trying to achieve something but have not definitively found the answer yet.

Mine is for fun basically, but you can leave it on all the time, Its an automotive relay....

OR just install the switch..... It can be done at the fuse panel too...... But on the gen2 you will get the wrench on the dash, the computer is way smarter now. and I believe the switch needs to be 20A rated and wire too as its now 20A.

Todd Z

That's what I want to know. Will I get the stupid wrench and then will the truck go into limp mode.

So Todd, you did this, but get the wrench when you do burnouts? The switch off and restart the truck to reset it?

I just want to turn it off and leave it off except when It is raining, or I'm going into the dirt.

finally did this. Very easy to do.

Under the dash passenger side, by the left foot there is the 4wd module. It has two groups of wires clipped into it. One clip is black and one is tan on my 2007. The wire I just cut in half is the grey wire with the orange stripe on it. It is in the tan clip. No lights on or any other issues.

I will run a switch someplace soon now that the winter is coming.

I'm getting ready to do this too. I'm not an offroader. I bought my ST to tow my RV.

Latest posts