Broken Wheel Lock nuts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k c

Reaction score
I installed a new set of McGard spline drive lug nuts with one wheel lock per wheel on the weekend. Today when I went to the dealership for my oil change I noticed that the drivers front wheel lock and the passenger rear wheel lock had completely cracked and the end of the wheel lock had fallen off. Since I need to use a special driver to get the wheel locks off I don;t know how I am going to get off the remaining part of the wheel lock still attached to the thread. Also these new wheel locks and lugs were tightened to 90 lbs of torque with a torque wrench and there is no information on the installation package stating less torque should be used. McGards are supposed to be one of the best if not the best lugs on the market and the whole spline drive kit cost $184 CDN. I also had not experienced any vibration in the wheels or anything else that would raise suspicion.

Does anyone have any insight into why the wheel locks would completely break off leaving half of it behind? Or how to remove the rest of the wheel lock still remaining on the stud?

:wacko:

Thanks,

K

Get a junk socket a tade bit smaller and beat it on the remains of the lug nut and remove it. That is how they stoled my friends wheels.

a 12 point socket works the best.. As above beat it on with a sledge, the lug will come right off..

Todd Z

The most probable reason for the locks to break the way you stated is that the wheel studs were too long for the locks and bottomed out when you torqued them down. I had the same thing happen to me at work on a ranger when I installed some custom wheels and locks on a dealer package upgrade. Chances are the portion of the lock thats still on the stud isn't very tight, I know I was able to remove of them with my fingers and the others I just tapped loose with hammer and chisel. I had to grind off the end of the stud that doesnt have threads in order for the locks to fit correctly.

Rob

Latest posts