Broken Sun Visor Mirror Cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn N

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I've only had my '07 ST a few days and I've bumped into my first issue. Apparently it's a known problem with the sun visor mirror cover and the crappy camel-colored plastic used in '07-'09, and I found a related TSB posted here. (Thanks for the reassurance it's not just me.) I watched it happen, almost in slow motion... I checked the vanity mirror, and it just crumbled apart, starting at one of the hinges and then cracking right in half. Must have been a bad hair day or something. :grin:

Unfortunately, the service procedure appears to require purchase and installation of a complete visor, as the mirror cover isn't available separately. My inclination is to replace both driver and passenger sides with the newer product, as a precautionary measure and to ensure they match each other. On the other hand, I might be able to save a few bucks if I can find a visor at a local salvage yard... the problem seems to affect all Explorers of that particular vintage, and replacement parts are the same across models. (I need the moonroof-compatible visor, however.)

Any thoughts on whether I should replace both sides or just the broken one? Are the new replacement mirror parts significantly more durable?

thanks,

shawn.

I found this in my friends 2008 Explorer too, touch them and they shatter !!!! the Gen 1 lighted cover fits the regular explorer..... The Sport Trac is different !!!!

The covers are changeable but require small screw drivers and patience and time prying on the spring and stuff, its a PAIN !!!! It may be cheaper to just replace with New OEM ones or a junk yard set from a 2010........

Todd Z

It's also an issue on 2003-2005 Explorers. I cannot tell you how many times I have had customers come in for them. The visors for your Sport Trac are 7L2Z7804104KB (RH), retail price $158.02 and 7L2Z7804105JB (LH), retail price $163.62.

Yup, had to buy 2 new visors for my '08. Not too big a deal to change them. You just have to fiddle with the wire connector until it drops down. From there its a piece of cake. 30 minute job for both of them. Bob

Last edited by a moderator: