Breather Box

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Cohn

Reaction score
I was preparing to put a new set of rear shocks on my 2002 ST. I was looking to see how difficult it was going to be to get a wrench on the top bolts. I did however notice that if I moved the Box it was going to be easier to access the top bolts. My question is what is that box? What is it function? I did also notice that there was a blue line that was crushed going into it. It was the first time it has been looked at as I have never had used the spare and this is the first shock change.:D

It is part of the evap/emissions system....

I did my shocks without removing that box, Just dropped the spare and I think i used a ratchet wrench and i was good to go..

Todd Z

Thanks for the info, Todd. Even with a ratchet wrench I have trouble getting my ham hands up there. Is there any type of maintenace that needs to be done to the evap/emmissions system while I am there. A filter or something?

Thanks again

Nothing to do in there...

I can almost guaranty I am larger then you, I got in there.... Just need to figure how to get in there..

Todd Z

I used a 13mm ratchet wrench with a swivel head. Put my arm up over the main frame on the left rear. Left the box and droped the spare..

I dropped the evap box on mine when I did it, I believe it was only 3 easily accesible bolts. Made it much easier. you can spin it out of the way and not bother to remove any hoses.

Leaving the box up there is far safer--I started to take it down, but realized that both boxes were linked, and just reached up and over, and I had no problems. I didn't even have the st lifted, just the tire off.

A small amount of complaining, and it was done :D