brakes issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave feola

Reaction score
folks well having issues again and of couirse the dealer wants me to bring it back for the fourth time. they initially changed the rotors and pads, got the truck back and within 2 days got a bad squeal after brakes were warm, took it back they said they couldn't found anything. ok drove it again same thing, this time they changed all "hardware ", now bad squeal and grinding when coming to stop 2 weeks later. oh and they said thaty the rotors were glazed because of me. bear in mind the truck has 83,000 miles and had never had this issue before ?, i have not paid the 400 dollar bill yet becasue of the proble. should I go back and ride with the service manager this weekend or just take it to my local trusted shop ?

Definitely go back and ride with the service manager....

I would suggest that they swap the pads out, could be something erroneous in the brake pad material that is causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they use Brown box Ford pads or the red box Motorcraft pads ??

They are 2 different pads and can make a differance...

Also if they did not place the anti squeal on the pads it will make noise..

I also had to take off my OEM pads when i got the truck and Chamfer the out side edges, Guess what, Squeal went away....

Just some thoughts...

The post below is because I did not want to use carbon or other pads on my new ST, I also wanted to keep FORD pads on there for warranty purposes, AND good thing I did... The calipers Locked about a year later and all was replaced by Ford..

Here is my old post, Check the part numbers Ford is using, Do they match ??

Well, got my new Ford part Number front brake pads today.

Part number # 4L2Z-2001-BA cost $90.27 with tax.

This is the SSM pad number for the front brakes.. will fit 03-04 .. (ford doesn't state it will fit 01-02...)

FACTS: they are the same pad as the old number and OEM pad.

The slide shim is DIFFERENT to alleviate the

squealing.

Since they are the OEM pad the truck stops a little better, (nothing drastic) But the noise is GONE!!!

Another fact less post from Todd Z ;-)

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The most common cause of disc brake squealing is dry metal to metal contact between the metal backing plate on the pad and the metal of the caliper or caliper frame.

The most common point of dry metal to metal contact is the little tabs on the pads that slide on the surface of the caliper. The tabs are designed to keep in the proper location and prevent the pad from falling out. But because the pads must move back and forth when the brakes are applied and released, that contact point needs to be greased with special high temperature brake grease. The flat spot where the pads slide also must be inspected for knicks and burrs that prevent the pad from sliding smoothly.

The pads can vibrate because of the minor imperfections in the disc and anywere the metal backing plate of the pad contacts any other metal part are potential squeal points.

It is beyond me why Ford's service manuals never mention to use brake grease on these points. This simple thing has been known for many, many years but Ford just does not listen.

The aftermarket pads are often better because the better aftermarket pads will almost always contain shims (also called slippers) that mount to the backs of the metal backing plates and are made of a different metal alloy that will absorb the vibrations and not cause squealing. So it is not the friction material that causes or prevents squealing brakes.

A slight bevel to the leading and trailing edge of the friction material can help reduce vibration of the pads, but if you have dry metal to metal contact you will still get vibration and squealing when the bevel starts to wear.

...Rich

Dave,

This was my issue...

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts