Brakes - Group consensus

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
Looking for a little group consensus:

A: Bigger brakes

B: Upgrade rotors (probably EE Power slots)

I need to do a brake job, and since I’ve upgraded to 18” wheels, I’m thinking I need something to improve my stopping since I now have more rolling mass. Whad ya think my best option is?

Ken

Bigger brakes are expensive. Very expensive. Is there even a kit? Honestly, I don't know.

Upgrading your rotors is a good start. I have read conflicting reports on slotted vs. drilled vs. stock. Each side has a point and some of the information contradicts itself.

Honestly, the most important part of a braking system is the friction material on the pads. Buy some high quality pads and your braking system will be greatly improved.

Personally, I recomend Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads. Others have used Ceramic pads, but I am not sold on them. My brother had them and was less then thrilled about them.

Carbon metallic pads produce black dust compared to the light color of the ceramic pads.

Tom

Unless your doing some serious towing or racing, The drilled and slotted rotors are going to be for looks only... The drilled rotors cool better, and the slotted are designed to scrape the pads clean to keep the best friction. This will wear the pads down faster. After I got all my brake problems squared away with the bad calipers I had, The truck stops as good as I need it to. The stock rotors and a good set of carbon or ceramic pads will be the best combo. I may upgrade to slotted rotors down the line for the looks, But with the stock rims, you may not see them at all..

Todd Z